I am Not Art

Blake

   I woke up feeling pretty good about myself. I mean, I was going to Kiowas wedding with Katrina. So, I got up feeling fresh and ready to go. Got out of bed, got dressed, shaved, brushed my hair and teeth and put some cologne on. When I was done with all of that, I grabbed my bag and headed downstairs for breakfast.

   Again and like always, my parents were in the kitchen talking and laughing together. Ignoring them, I put some bread into the toaster for my breakfast.

   "So, son," my dad said. "Planning on skipping school again today?"

   I frowned. "Skip? Who? Me?"

   My mom stood up and crossed her arms at me. "Blake, we got a call from your principal this morning. If you skip anymore school, we are going to take away all of your alpha privileges."

   "Mom, there's something I've been meaning to tell you. Lately, you've become something of a bitch. And I--"

   A blow crossed my face and I stared wide eyed at my mother. Did she seriously just slap me? That goddamn-- And then I saw the tears in her eyes. Crying after she just slapped me?

   "You may be the alpha, Blake. But, I am still your mother, and I deserve better than this crap!"

   I sighed, and went up to hug my mom. I wasn't good at this emotional stuff . . . "You're right, mom. I'm sorry."

   "Honey," said my dad. "It's the full moon, remember? He's not in control today. It's not his fault."

Katrina

   I was at the breakfast table eating a bowl of cereal with Alison. We were talking quietly to each other about what was going to happen later today, when my dad walked in. Ali was very excited to get t go to the wedding, and . . . so was I. Sure, I was nervous about going with Blake, but I was also excited. Ths was going to be my first date ever. But, would it really be considered a date if Alison was going to be there?

   "Katrina, get your ass over here. I have a present for you."

   I didn't want to do this right now; not ever. I was starting to realize how wrong it was. And, I did not want to do it anymore. Bowing my head so that Mark wouldn't see my face, I said in a whisper, "Dad, I-- I don't want your present."

   His hand slapped my face and tears stung in my eyes. See what I meant about just going along with things gets you hurt less? Peeking a glance at Alison, I saw that she was weeping silently. I seriously hated for her to see these things. We had to get out of here, 'cause I couldn't take this anymore.

   Mark came up to me and cradled my face; then he kissed my lips softly. It was gentler than Blake's kiss was, but I didn't like it. "Oh, I'm sorry. Did I hurt you, my precious angel?" He grinned. "Good. That'll teach you not to disobey me again. Now, move your ass to that bedroom."

   "Yes, Dad."

   After another round of abusive sex with Mark, I drove off to school. And, I hated almost every minute of it. Before the first bell rang I caught up with Dominique. Luckily, it was just me and her for the morning.

   All of my classes before the one I had with Blake were okay. I mean, sure I had gym third period, but I kinda liked it. We played volleyball and I totally rocked it. The teacher even talked to me about joining her team. She said I was the best out of all of the girls in the class, and that she would love to have me on her team. But, I couldn't answer her, because I didn't know.