Chapter 34

Second chapter I posted today guys. After you read this it will be over.

***************************************

I woke up in a bed with bright lights over me. This and the beeping to my right told me that I was in a hospital before my eyes even adjusted to the lighting. So I wasn’t dead…

I used my hand to push myself further up on the bed but a sharp pain in my right arm prevented me from doing so. At the groan I made, Page appeared at my bedside.

“Are you okay?” She said fearfully. Without responding I looked around. Steve and Ben were asleep in some chairs beside my bed, Page was sitting beside my feet, dozens of flowers adorned the room, and the TV was on. The television immediately grabbed my attention. It showed a clip of me talking on the podium and then a news lady talking about my dangerous encounter.

Page rushed to turn it off; it seemed like she was trying to hide something.

“Turn it back on.” I said hoarsely. She jumped in amazement at me talking, before obeying my command.

The news person came on and started speaking again. “Victoria Sirens is in the hospital and we have not yet received word on the seriousness of the blow to her shoulder. We do know however the status of her friends, Erik and Trixie. Erik has been severely beaten and suffers from minor head trauma. Trixie however has not been so fortunate. She died from-”

The rest of her words faded away. That one word echoed in my head on an endless repeat. Died. Died. Died. Before I knew it I was sobbing into Pages arms. It woke up the boys and they crowded around me offering endless love and support.

“Momma it hurts so bad.” I said in between sobs. She started crying too when she heard what I had called her.

“It will get better baby. It will.” She assured me stroking my hair affectionately.

In three days I was allowed to leave the hospital so I could go to Trixie’s funeral. I was wearing a black dress when we arrived. My eyes were red and puffy from crying so much, my voice was hoarse, and my face was as pale as a ghost.

People greeted me at the entrance with sad stares and apologies. I forgave them instantly and hugged them all. Their behavior had made me cry so many times in the past, but none of the mattered now. I just wanted them to be forgiven so that it could be left in the past, where it belonged.

My family and I were going to take our seats but I spotted Rebecca. “I’ll be right back.” I told them.

Once I reached her she looked at me sadly, then at my bandage, then to the floor. “Victoria.” She sighed. “How are you?”

“I’m good.” I said, looking at her warily. “Why didn’t you ever visit me in the hospital?”

“I’m sorry!” She exclaimed, finally looking at me. “I’m such a horrible friend!”

“What?” I asked, confused.

“I should’ve known something was wrong. I should’ve been able to help you. I should’ve-”

“You did do something.” I said taking her hand. “You brought me out of my shell. I wouldn’t be speaking right now if I had never met you; I wouldn’t be free.”

Tears built up in her eyes as she forced me into a hug.

The funeral started and we listened to speeches, crying the whole time. Then everyone said their goodbyes to her. When it was my turn I stood in front of her, looking at her lovely face. “Thank you. You saved my life and I will never forget that.” I kissed her on her forehead before letting the next person come up.

Something came over me then; it was hope. Hope for a better tomorrow; a new beginning.

After she was lowered into the ground I put some flowers on the grave before we left.

“I need to do something.” I said once everyone started climbing into the car.

“Alright.” Page said before kissing my cheek. “Call me if you need a ride.”

“Okay.” I said watching them drive away. Drying my eyes I walked to the hospital. A lot of people would think that since I just got out of there I wouldn’t want to go back; those people are right. I didn’t want to go back; I needed to go back.

Once I got there I found the correct room number and knocked on the door. “Come in.” Someone said faintly.

I went into the room and saw Erik laying on the bed, looking worse than I did. “Victoria.” He said with a weak smile.

Without a word I went and sat on a chair beside his bed.

After a moment I looked into his brown eyes. “Are you okay?”

“Never been better.” He was lying, obviously. “Listen Vic. I want to apologize. A lot of things have happened that I would do anything to change. I don’t like how I treated you. The truth is I was angry. I thought you and Douglas were a thing, and I was upset because…”

“Because what?” I prodded.

“Because I love you.” He took my hand in his and looked right into my tear filled eyes. “Please forgive me.”

“I do forgive you Erik, but we can’t be together.” I pulled my hand away, shaking my head. “Too much has happened and I... I don’t know if I can trust you anymore.”

So I left that hospital, breaking two hearts at the same time. I needed Erik. I loved Erik. I just didn’t know if I could count on him to not break my heart.

Somehow I knew though that it would be okay though. Maybe it was just because Page said it would be but I just knew.

And that’s the end of one story and the beginning of another…