Chapter 8

It was a dogtag necklace. The dogtag had a cross on it and it was on a leather strap. I heald it up.

Joey stood up and put his hand out to help me up. I took it and got up.

"A cross?" i asked.

"Yup, cause Im a Catholic!" he said with a smile (If you watched the second fireside chat you will get it :)).

I laughed and Brian ushered us into the closet. I wasnt nervous anymore. I knew Joey and he was my best friend, well only friend, and I knew that there was nothing to worry about. He shut the door behind us saying we had 7 minutes but not adding anything else.

It was completely dark in the closet and we sat down, across from each other.

"Well, we've got seven minutes to waist." He said.

"Yeah." I said.

"Let me see your hands." he said. I held my hands out and grabbed them. He put them up, palms facing him then clapped his hands to mine.

"Patty Cake, Patty Cake." he said and I laughed. He laughed too.

"Baker's maid." I said[lol thats all i know of it XD]. We laughed as we did little kids handshake rhymes. A few minutes later Brian knocked on the door.

"Have you kissed yet!?" he demaded.

"NO!" we both said at the same time.

"Im not letting you out till you two kiss!" Brian said.

"Brain! We aren-" I start but Joey cuts me off by pressing his lips to mine. Im shocked for a second and stay frozen. He pulls away after a second.

"There! We kissed now let us out!" Joey said. I can feel that my face is deep red.

Brian opens the door and grins at us, we walk out and Brian makes mocking kissy faces at Joey. Joey tackles him and they start wrestling on the floor, laughing.

After a moment, they get up and Joey gives Brian a noogy. I can feel that my face is still slightly red. I see that Joey's is a bit red too. Though Im not sure if thats from the wrestling or the kiss.

Joey comes over to me. "Hey, Uh, do you want to go?" he asked. I just nod.

"Hey Brian! We're gonna split! See ya!" he said. Brian looked at me then wiggled his eyebrows. Joey hit him upside the head and my face went red again. Joey led me out and we walked over to his truck.

I silently got in the passengers seat and we pulled out. After a moment he broke the silence.

"Sorry about that. But I mean, Brian wouldnt of let us out if I didnt right?" he asked with a small smile at me.

I nod. Of Course. It was just cause he wanted to get out of there. Not cause he liked me. But that didnt matter, I mean, I didnt like Joey like that. Right?

"Hey, I have this place that i like to go to. Real quiet, and pretty. You can see the stars real well. You wanna see it?" he asked.

"Sure." I said. He turned on the next road and drove for a while, then he pulled onto a country road. We kept going then went up a steeper hill, into some trees. We soon broke the trees and he stopped the car.

We were at an open area, clear, and there was a drop off of the hill. You could see everything from up here. Plus at the edges of the trees were beautiful white and blue wild flowers. The stars were clear and the moon was bright.

"Joey, this place is beautiful!" I said as we got out of the car.

He smiled and I thought I heard him say something like "I've seen more beautiful things." but I couldnt hear him right. Then he said, louder "Yeah, I love coming up here, great place to think." he said.

He walked around to the back of the truck and hopped into the truck bed. Then he helped me up over the side into it. We lay down and looked up at the stars.

"Theres Orions Belt." He said pointing to the constalation.

"Hercules too." I said guesturing to the cluster of stars.

We stay there for a little while, pointing out constalations and it starts to get kinda cold. I shiver a bit and rub a hand up and down one of my arms.

"Cold?" Joey asked.

"I-Im fine." I say. But he just pulls off his jacket and holds it out to me.

"No, its okay. You keep it." I said waving a hand.

"No, I insist." he says and puts it around my shoulders. I look at him for a minute then put my arms through the holes.

"Thanks." i say, laying back again.

"No problem Kat." he says.

I lay my head on his shoulder and he wraps one arm around my shoulders. We lay there in silence for a minute just listening to the sounds of the animals and bugs chirping in the trees and looking up at the stars.

"Hey Kat?" Joey asks after a few moments.

"Yeah?" I ask.

"I was wondering, would you wear my jersey to school tomorrow?" he asked. I was surprised. On game days the players girlfriends would wear the player's jerseys to school. If it was a home game they would wear the away jersey while the guys wore the home and if it was away it would be opposite.

"Dont the players' girlfriends do that?" I asked.

"Um, well, yeah, but I dont have a girlfriend and your my best friend thats a girl so..." he said, rubbing his neck in that cute way guys did. "But I mean, you dont have to if you dont want to." he added.

"Yes." I said.

"Really?" he asked with a grin. I laughed a bit.

"Yes, Joey, I would love to wear your jersey to school tomorrow." I said.

"Great!" he said. We lay there for a few more minutes and I start to doze off on his shoulder. I couldnt help it, it was so comfortable here with him.

I was almost completely asleep when i felt movement. I opened my eyes a crack and saw Joey picking me up gently.

"Joey?" I asked tiredly.

"I should be getting you home. Its pretty late." he said, placing me in the passenger's seat. He walked around to the drivers and got in. I slid down the seat next to him and put my head back on his shoulder as he pulled out. He smiled.

"Your shoulders comfy." I say and he chuckled.

"Thanks." he said.

"Yup." I said.

He drove me back to my house and I looked at the clock. It was midnight, Aunt Jane would be home and asleep by now.

"Thanks Joey. I had alot of fun." I said, smiling at him. He smiled back.

"So did I Kat. I'll be here around 7:50 to pick you up for school and give you my jersey." he said.

"K. See you tomorrow Joey." I said, climbing out.

"See you tommorow." he said. I walked back up to my door and once again watched him drive away with a smile on my face. Then I walked inside, went to my room, got into my PJ's and went to sleep.

I dreamed about Joey Richter. My best friend. And, possibly, the guy I had a crush on.