Chapter 30

Bruno's POV

All around me was white, and I wondered if it was the only color the place knows. White walls, white ceiling, white floor, white doors, white curtains, white everything. The hallway was simply white. Even my face was pale white while I stood leaning my head on the glass window, watching as raindrops hit. The only thing that wasn't white was the plant in the corner, opposite to me.

I was standing there for only an hour now after the doctor told me what I didn't expect to hear, but it felt like I was standing there for ages, waiting for worse things to come. I knew I can't just stand there and count raindrops forever. My throat was throbbing. Actually, my whole body was aching but I didn't care. I didn't know how long I can fight my tears anymore. I heaved a sigh, reminding myself to breathe. What have I done wrong? What have I done for me to suffer like this? My hand flew to my head. Then I rubbed the back of my neck in frustration.

"Bruno," I heard someone called from behind. I turned around and saw Cree standing in the middle of the hallway. "She's awake," she announced.

I put my hand on the doorknob and carefully turned it, opening the door making no sound. My heart weighs like a ton as I entered in and saw her lying on the bed and unmoving but awake. I walked to her and quickly, her eyes glowed as they met mine. "Bruno," she breathed forming a small smile on her face.

"Hey," I smiled as well, a sad smile, and touched her hand. She looked like a snowflake in a winter day, pale and a bit cold.

"Where's Ali? Where's everybody?" she asked.

"Phil took Ali home. Cree is outside. The girls in the mansion are freed but still being investigated. Unfortunately, Andrew is in jail, as well as the rest of the men. And James—"

"Isn't it that you have to be in bed too? You were badly hurt," she said, breaking my sentence. She must've seen the gauze on my forehead, and the bruises on the corner of my lips and on my arms. I've never looked so beaten up. I do needed rest but that wasn't what I wanted right now. I wanted her. Her voice in my ear.

"Don't mind me, Persey. I'm fine," I replied, but my voice didn't sound convincing enough. Instead, it sounded weak.

"I'm sorry I put you through this," I heard her sniff. "I shouldn't have answered the phone when you called. I'd rather not talk to you than see you getting beaten up." Her voice was cracking.

"Stop saying that," I said and put my hand on the side of her face, my thumb brushing her cheek. "All I went through led me to you, Persey. I regret nothing." My eyes were on her, and I can see tears balling in hers.

She swallowed. "What happened to me?"

I swallowed as well, and removed my hand from her face and straightened my body up. There was a lump in my throat again that I fought very hard to ignore. I sat on the chair next to her bed. For a moment, I stayed silent, not planning to answer her question.