Chapter 20

Persey's (Natalie) POV

"Persephone" I heard his voice called as I watched the doorknob slowly turned and the door flew open. There he was standing at the doorway wearing an oxford shirt tucked in his dark brown pants – the usual. I just stood there, beside the bed, very still waiting for what he had to say. "Andrew told me you haven't eaten yet."

I opened my mouth to speak but it took me a second to do so. "...I'm not hungry for anything."

"I insist you eat," he said firmly with his eyes locked on me.

 I nodded hesitatingly. "Okay." I really wasn't hungry but I didn't want to argue with James about this.

"Join me to dinner then," he said. It sounded more like a command than a request.

"I'll be there," I answered.

As soon as the door closed, I heaved a loud sigh of relief. The dread curdling in the pit of my stomach disappeared. I ran to the bathroom door and opened it to see Bruno leaning lazily against the wall. "Coast is clear," I whispered. "You have to get out of here now, Bruno," I gritted through my teeth holding both his arms tightly.

"And leave you here? Not a chance," he argued.

"Listen to me. I'm gonna be fine—"

"No. Quit saying that! As long as you're still stuck here, you're not safe!" he cried.

"Shh! Someone might hear you," I whispered loudly.

"I'm getting you out of here now," he said looking around the room for any way to get out. "There must be a way to get—"

"Bruno, stop. Listen to me," I urged forcing him to look at me. I was about to speak again but then I was stopped and turned speechless as I saw a bruise on his left cheek. It wasn't dark enough to be noticeable. One could only notice it at closer look.

I touched his cheek suddenly looking concerned. He noticed my reaction and his eyebrows furrowed. Bewildered, he held my hand on his cheek and asked, "What?"

Ignoring his question, I looked down on his arm and saw a cut which looked quite big and deep. I felt my heart sinking as I examined his injuries. "You got these from yesterday's fight, didn't you?" I asked without looking.

"It's nothing," he replied removing his arms from my grip.

I felt a sudden hint of guilt realizing what huge danger I got Bruno into. If it wasn't for me, he wouldn't have been hurt. He would've been killed if Ali didn't arrive. There was no one to blame but me. I'm only putting Bruno's life in danger. I'm a huge threat, I thought to myself.  It's not impossible for this to happen again. The next time James sees him, he would probably try to kill him again right away, without a second thought. As long as Bruno's with me, he's not safe either.

"I'm sorry," I whispered my voice cracking and my eyes all teary and filled with sadness.

"For what?" he was confused.

I didn't answer him. Instead, I reached for the bathroom door and widely opened it for him. "Leave. Before you get caught."

I saw his shoulders relaxed as he gave out a sigh of dismay. Following my command, he went out from the door and I watched him as he walked towards the glass door which leads to the balcony. But he stopped midway and turned around to see me. I was leaning on the frame of the bathroom door with my arms folded. I waited for what he was about to say.

"My album tour starts next month. I'm gonna be rehearsing with the guys. So that means I'll be busy and..." he trailed off. He looked away and then looked back again. "This isn't the last time I'm seeing you, right?" he asked with eyes that, to me, looked like the eyes of a long lost puppy. Though he wasn't making puppy faces.