Chapter 21

Persey's POV

"Hello, Persey?" I heard his voice on the other line. "Did you find her?"

His question made me swallow my own saliva in fear. I looked at my right first where Ali was lying on the bed with her eyes shut. "I have her. She's with me right now," I answered.

He sighed exaggeratingly. "Where has she been?"

"From school. Sh-she doesn't want to talk about it," I stammered trying hard to get rid of his question.

"What is she doing there?"

"Listen, Bruno. She can't go home now. But don't worry. She'll be fine here with me," I said in a hurry. "Just tell her father she's having slumber party or something. I'll explain to you everything tomorrow when I see you. For now, I gotta go..."

"But—"

"Bye!" I hung up. My hands almost tremble in jittery. I can't say it. I can't.  I didn't have the guts to tell him the truth. I was scared he might hate me for this. But am I that selfish to care only for my sake and neglect Ali? I knew I had to do something.

Ali was actually really beautiful, I just realized. She sleeps soundlessly, her face being lit by the moonlight filtered through the window. I sat on the edge of her bed feeling as if my heart weighs a ton.

As I stared at Ali's face, I can see myself in her. Like her, I lost my mother too and the only family I have left was my father. Yet I wasn't even sure if I'll ever get to talk to him again. But unlike me, Ali was still young. There is more ahead of her. If she stays longer in this hell house, she'll only gonna end up being a slave which means more money for James. The bright future that may be waiting for her will only be ruined and that's all because of me. I can't let that happen. I don't want her life to end up just like mine.

But Bruno... The thought of never getting to see him again makes me want to bury myself alive. For five years, I've been finding happiness and contentment. I thought I was going to feel all that in this marriage I have with James Edwards. I've been trying so hard to make myself believe my husband is the only man for me. I thought I was going to learn to love him as time passes but... I just couldn't feel it. I spent five years of enduring and lying to myself.

I never felt how love really felt like until this guy came along suddenly making me fall for him without any warning. Bruno. He knows the weak spots of a girl's heart. He gave me the world and put it in my hands. I have hurt him once already but he never gave up on me. For once, he never hurt me no matter how big the mistake I did to him was. Instead of getting revenge from me, he gave me another chance. He treated me like I never did something wrong to him. He held me in his arms and did everything to protect me even if he knows who I really am. He loves me.

I can't just forget about him and leave after all that he has done for me. I love him... so much that it hurts.

Who am I kidding? I'm married and I can't do anything about it. It is wrong for me to love somebody else besides my husband.

"I will only set that little girl of yours free... in one condition! Stop seeing Bruno Mars!" I heard my husband's voice ringing in my head.

James was making this hard for me. I knew he was doing this just so I'd give up and leave Bruno forever. He was making me choose between my happiness and the freedom of an innocent girl. He will never stop until he gets what he wants. This will be very hard for me. It was like choosing between life and death. I felt like I was standing on the edge of a cliff with words hanging above me: my happiness or the sake of a friend's life.

I had to choose. I had to do something.

Sacrifice. I heard someone said in my mind.

I inched closer to Ali. I looked at her and... I see me.