FOUR | FAMILY

"yasssssssss gurl you did your thang." Deanna's client smiled happily as she looked at her new weave in the mirror. Her name was Shakita and boy was this girl was a piece of work. "Gonna have to tell my boo he can't be pulling on this one I got me some good hair this time."

Dee shook my head having to laugh at Shakita's craziness. "I'm glad you like it." Dee smiled and begin to clean up her station.

"Like it? I loooove it." Kita snapped her fingers poking her big lips out. She looked a little like a duck when she did that.

"Here you go." Shakita handed Dee a crisp hundred dollar bill. "For you." This was the biggest Tip Kita ever gave her. Her latest credit card scheme must have paid off. Shakita was a single mother of two with no real job but if Kita was anything she was a true hustler. Always looking for ways to make money and always ready and willing to spend it sitting in Deanna's chair.

Sticking the tip into her bra Deanna continued to clean. Her day was off to a good start. Crazy how it always did when she was getting ready go see her mother. It's like god knows she's about to be emotionally beat so he grants her a few good fortunes before she walks into the pits hell.

~~~~~~

Bright lights and weird smells. Ugh did Deanna hate hospital's. This was supposed to be where people went to get better but Deanna was only able to associate this place with Death. After all a hospital was where her father went in hopes of being saved and he didn't make it out alive. The only man in the world who never hurt her who was there all her life was just GONE in just a matter of hours. If she had a choice she'd never walk into one again but sadly today she had to. Her mother was meeting with her doctor and as always Deanna was the only one available to drive her.

"I have great news for you Mrs Watson the cancer hasn't returned." The Doctor informed her after taking another look at her test results and it was actually Deanna that let out the sigh of relief. She wasn't sure if she could see her mother go through the Chemo thing again. She was finally beginning to look like a real person again. Her hair was growing back and now that she was able to keep down food she was putting on some weight, no longer resembling a bag of bones.

"Thank the lord!" Loretta Watson raised her skinny hands in the air and as inappropriate as it was Deanna almost wanted to laugh. Loretta wasn't ever really a strong believer in god. In their household growing up they didn't pray before bed or before eating their meals and they sure didn't praise god in church on Sunday's. Sure as Deanna grew older she developed her own views when it came to religion and beliefs but that had very little to do with her mother. Loretta cursed like a sailor, smoked like a chimney and drank like a fish.

Loretta's reckless unhealthy ways didn't make her horrible mother though. Loretta did her best to raise Deanna and her other three daughters. She always made sure they had everything they needed. She just wasn't a very nice person, not to Deanna anyway. Dee was always a little heavy even as a little girl she always had fuller cheeks bigger arms and thicker legs than her sisters. Her fat started to form in not so flattering areas and although her father told her it was alright she was often the target of a lot of her mother's jokes. While her dad tried his best to make her feel beautiful her mother never failed to make her feel worthless in comparison to her sisters. Funny how now her sisters only stopped by every few months like Loretta being sick wasn't their concern but it was Deanna helping to pay Loretta's medical bills and making sure she was living comfortably. Deanna was the one taking good care of the woman who called her every name in the book from thunder thighs to free willy.

"So this means the cancer is gone? Like gone gone? Deanna asked. "As in never coming back?"

"With these kinds of thing's I can't promise that it wouldn't. There is always a chance it will return but the chances of that happening is slim to none." Dr Reed was confident that Loretta was going live out the rest of her life without having to step back into the ring and fight cancer again.