Epilogue

I learned as I grew up that love knows no boundaries. My parents were in love from the moment they met, and nothing had ever created a rift between that.

There were times when I heard them argue. But whenever 'Kevin' was brought up, they started to calm and talk things through properly.

I don't think it was about me. I never thought it was. I learned at the age of 15 that I was named after my Mom and Dad's deceased best friend.

This inspired me to be just like the old Kevin. At Kevin's funeral, my mother had said that she wanted me to be just like him. I even look like him. I had the same eyes and all his attributes.

And as I stand before 6,000 of my fans, I'm glad I took the musical road.

My band, Embers At Dusk, is the thing that makes my life complete.

As I sing, I think of the old Kevin, and l long to talk to him. I wonder what he was like?

"Thank you!" I scream as I finish.

The crowd roar as I leave the stage. I grin as I see my wife, Fern, and my beautiful children, Flint and Dusk, backstage.

"Are we ready to go home?" I ask Fern. She nods.

We turn and go out of the back exit, where my parents are stood beaming.

"Well done, Kevin." Dad praises me, running a hand through his gray flecked hair. Mom hugs Flint as he runs over to her.

"Will I be like Daddy some day?" he asks her. Mom smiles that sweet, tender smile.

"If you try your best and never give up, then you will be even better. Your Daddy is even more famous than my brother was." she sighs softly. Her brother, Kellin, had passed away a few years prior.

"I'm glad someone in the McKinnon family is still active. I'm going to retire." Dad smiles.

"Are you sure, Jeremy?" Mom inquires warily.

"Yes. We've stayed strong for 25 long years. I'm sure the fans will understand. Not to say A Day to Remember is gone forever though. It will always be part of me and the guys will love to go back to it in a few years. But it just doesn't feel right without Kevin."

"Good choice, Dad. I don't blame you." I assure him. "Come on, then. Let's go. I have...something to do."

"Are you going alone? I can take these three home." My father suggests, pointing at Fern and the kids.

"Thank you. Will you be alright, Fern?"

She smiles. "Of course. Take care, Kevin."

I nod and get in my own car, driving to the most love filled, inspiring place in the world.

Emberlight Hill.

Kevin's grave is where it always has been, of course, with flowers scattered about here and there.

"Kevin...I wish I could have known you. I want to thank you for loving my sister like you did. Without you...who would I be?" I whisper. I stay there thinking for a while before I smile and get up, breathing in the crisp, clean night air. "No, I understand. I am you as much as I am myself."

I think about my life and all I'd achieved. Would I be who I was without Kevin? No... I wouldn't. And I wouldn't be without my family, either. But...I wouldn't be anyone if it weren't for my own actions.

My family mean the world to me, and they always will. I dread the day they leave me, or the day I leave them.

But there's one thing I do know, and it fills me with contempt as I look at Kevin's grave one last time. I gaze up to the stars, walking out of the gates to Emberlight Hill and begin to whisper to myself.

"My life has been a miracle. And I can honestly say that without Kevin Skaff, or Ember or Jeremy, I could never be who I am. I am and forever will be who I am. I am Kevin Zachary McKinnon."

-----

So guys, it's over, after months worth of writing. Let me know what you thought, and if you would like to see a sequel in the future.

Thank you all for your support, and for being part of the adventure.

~Ember. xo