Part 11

"Oh god..." I muttered to myself continually. I'd been sat here for an hour and Jeremy had not shown up. God knew where he could be...

"Ember? Can I come in?"

"S-sure, Josh..."

The door creaked open and he stepped inside with the bowl of chips he had made. "Listen," Josh began, sitting next to me and I uncurled myself. "This is going to happen. And it's going to happen a fucking lot. But there's not point grieving over damage that can be healed. Jeremy will forgive you."

"N-no he won't," I sniffled. "Not after that..."

"Ember, trust me. If he loves you - which he does - he'll forgive you easily. He probably already has, because from what I saw, you didn't kiss Neil back."

I remained silent for a while, taking a chip and munching on it thoughtfully. Maybe Josh was right. Jeremy was a very laid back person, and he took everything in stride. As long as those around him were happy, he was happy. And he would never leave me feeling like this if he wanted to marry me.

"I guess you're right," I replied after a while. Josh set his empty bowl down and hugged me. I smiled as he did.

"Go on. Go find him," Josh told me after he let go. "If I know him too well, he'll be at Emberlight. And say something to Neil sometime soon, because I know you're not really angry with him. He's distraught that he upset you and Jeremy. He knew he was wrong."

"I will. Thanks, Joshy. You're the best." I kissed him on the cheek before grabbing my coat and leaving to walk to Emberlight Hill in the blistering cold.

I loved Emberlight Hill. My mother had named me after it because I was born there when the ambulance didn't arrive in time. After she informed me of my namesake, I had loved going going ever since. It wasn't too far away from mine and Jeremy's home; only around fifteen minutes. On the way, I decided I'd talk to Neil the next day. Our sobriety would make it more ideal.

I found my beloved right under Kellin's favourite oak tree, where we used to go and play with our mother almost every day. I kept my footsteps light as I threaded over to him. I saw him bristle, as though his body was alert to my presence, yet his mind was not fully aware that I was present.

"It's a little chilly tonight, huh."

Jeremy jumped at my comment and his head snapped around. He relaxed when he saw that it was me, and that I was not a threat, though his eyes were still cold like the air around us.

"Yeah. It is," he replied, shifting uncomfortably.

I took a seat next to him and gazed up at the beautiful sky. A bright moon rode high, shining down harshly and coating the land in a milky light and staining the grass silver. The stars seemed to huddle around the moon as though seeking warmth from the cold.

"I love this place," I hummed. "You know, it was my Mom's favourite place too. She named me after it. She told me the same story of how I was born here and how she felt compelled to name me after it every night before she..." I hesitated, a tear slipping down my cheek, as though it portrayed the lost word of my unfinished sentence.

"Don't cry...I'm sure she's up there, watching over us right now. In fact, I know it."

"That's what I always think," I agreed. We stayed quiet for a few moments, staring up at the stars again. I wondered which one was her. It had to be one of the most bright and beautiful ones, because that's what she always was before she left us.

"This is where we met, isn't it?" Jeremy admired, breaking the short silent streak.

"Yes. I remember it so well, because that day meant so much to me," I replied as I wiped my tears away. "I always used to play here with my Mom. When she saw you staring at me, she asked me if you were my friend, and I cried because I knew you weren't. And even though you didn't hear her, you came over as though you knew, and told me you'd be my friend if I could prove I would be a good one."