Papaya/Pawpaw Leaves - Cure for Dengue

How does it work?

Papaya leaves are known to be packed with the enzymes like chymopapin and papain that, according to Dr Sanath Hettige, normalise the platelet count, improves the clotting factor (helps the blood clot normally), improves one’s liver function and repairs the damage to the liver done by dengue, therefore helping an ailing person recover from the disease. (Read: Dengue fever: Symptoms, medication and prevention)

How to use the papaya leaf?

The young leaves from a fruit bearing papaya plant should be used. According to Dr Hettige, the leaves of the Red Lady papaya plant (found commonly in India) are more effective. The important fact is that one should choose leaves that are not too old, neither too young. Now, take only the leafy part and not the stalk and wash them well with water. 

1. The Juice Method. For this method, it is recommended to extract the juice out of papaya leaves by crushing. After removing the stems and other fibrous parts you should crush the other part, the greener one. You can use a cloth filter or any other type of device to squeeze the juice out. However, remember that the leaves have to be fresh. If you don’t use raw fresh papaya leaves, the outcome might not be that good and the positive effect will be minimized. You need about two leaves for each treatment. Take two tablespoons of juice every six hours, three times a day and you will certainly feel better.
2. The Paste Method. You can use a food processor or a grinder to turn the leaves into a paste. However, because it is quite bitter, it is recommended to mix it with some fresh juice. Take four teaspoons twice a day. After three days to one week, you will see the difference.