Chapter Forty

You weren't sure how much sleep you had when the base exploded into screams and gunshots. As soon as your eyes flew open from the sudden noise, there were unfamiliar voices and gunshots at your door. Because it was metal, the door was going to be a hassle to blow out, but fear still stung your heart. Everything happened in a cloudy blur, but human instinct still controlled your movements. You forgot everything but your humanity.

Immediately, you jumped back against into your skeleton, who was already awake and muttering something into your ear. You couldn't make out anything he was saying, but his arms were wrapped around you so that was enough to keep you from crying out in anxiety. Instead, you tried to calm yourself as the banging grew more intense and eventually, there were visible dents in the metal. This only freaked you out more. 

"Sweets. Come on. Everything's okay." Sans' voice now became audible as some sense rushed into you. Thoughts started to process as you attempted to figure out what was happening. We're under attack. You have to do something.

"What's happening, Sans?" You asked, feeling a sense of overwhelming nerves begin to flood your lungs. You still didn't have a solid grip on yourself. 

"I don't know, Sweets. Work with me here." You could hear him grit his teeth as he pressed himself against the neighboring wall, pulling you with him so you were positioned in between his legs. You now pressed yourself against the skeleton, that way your head was under his chin and his arms were able to hold you around the waist. Your arms were held close to yourself as visible light began to seam through the edges of your door. 

"Sans! What is happening?!" You cried out in terror and more voices began to become more audible. The banging increased at a harder rate, now encouraged by the fearful shrill of your voice. 

"We got her cornered!" There was the foreign excited shout of victory. Sans right arm tightened around you as you tightened in fear. They're here for me? Why me?

"Sweets." Sans whispered into your ear. "Calm down. I won't let them get you."

Your eyes were glued on the door, jumping at every sound that blasted from the door. His left arm loosened around you, causing you to whine in fear, but he cooed your panic away. With some readjusting, he managed to extend his arm towards the door. You watched as magic rippled down his arm and through his bones towards his left hand, which he now stretched out. Trailing your eyes up his arm and sneaking a glance at his face, you found his eye bursting into blue and occasionally flickering into yellow. 

As you did, the door fell forward with a loud crash and voices blasted into your ears. Flicking your head towards the danger, you lost your voice to fear as figures began to flood into the room. You probably would have died had Sans not been there. People and bones were all you saw, even a couple bullets, which Sans had blocked with Gaster Blasters and more bones. Eventually, there was a pause in the action and a man revealed himself. All you managed to process out of this man was the green jewel-like object that was embedded into his forehead.

"Give us the girl." He demanded. 

"Over my dead body." Sans spat and waited for a response. He then chuckled lightly. "Heh."

This somehow brought you into reality and blinking yourself into who you really were. Turning back towards the skeleton, you shot him a 'really?' glance and flicked your head at the man.

"Forget it." You snapped and felt your orbs glow as you wrapped your magic around the man's shirt. With the flick of your hand, he was sent flying out of the room. You now broke away from Sans and jumped off the bed, finding everyone else back away from you cautiously. They were afraid of you. "Scram."