Novaer (Farewell)

Rohan was beautiful in it's wildness. The snow-caped mountains, endless amounts of sky reflecting into the lake at your feet, tufts of wild grass springing up all over the place. The land seemed to call out to your soul, offering freedom you couldn't possibly imagine. Freedom you wished you had. Freedom you could have if things went according to plan... How were you supposed to say goodbye tonight? You might never see them again... Well... that's why you were out here with Legolas. You wanted to spend at least one more day among the people you loved.

"Legolas, you really don't have to do this."

"Nonsense. I want to. Besides..." He smirked as he weaved in a couple strands of hair between his fingers, "You're going to need your hair pulled back to practice."

You couldn't stop the large smile from spreading across your face as Legolas finished braiding your hair. You secretly adored the feeling of his hands tangled in your hair. They were strong but gentle and very skilled, as if he did this on a regular basis. Well you supposed so, if he did his own hair, you just never really thought about it.

"There. All done." He ran his fingers through the loose strands as he admired his work.

"Really?" You asked in excitement. You couldn't see it, but when you reached up to feel it, the intricate loops and braids made you smile. It did keep your loose strands out of your face.

You turned around, beaming, "It's amazing! Thank you!"

"You're very welcome," He grinned, "It suits you. Now, are you ready to 'take a shot' so to speak?"

You chuckled, "Are you kidding? I've been ready for this since you promised to teach me in Lothlorien!"

"I never realized how set you were on this..." He smiled and took a couple steps back, "Go ahead. Show me what you've got."

"What? Without any instruction? I'll just go for it?"

"Yeah. I want to see what we need to work on."

You narrowed your gaze, "You just want to see me make a fool of myself."

"I would never dream of it." his grin said otherwise as he handed you his bow.

Shaking your head, you gripped the bow and drew an arrow from the quiver at your side. Everything felt rather clumsy and completely uncoordinated as you tried to nock the arrow to your string. You didn't dare look at Legolas in fear of ridicule. Trying to keep the arrow in place as you rose the bow, you were taken aback by how much strength it took just to pull back the string! The muscles in your shoulder burned and trembled under the strain as you aimed at the shield a few yards away. You tried to steady your hand, but you could feel your strength failing so you let go when you thought you were close to your target, a sharp burn slapping your elbow.

To your dismay, the arrow shot completely out of sight, missing the target by yards and disappearing somewhere over the hill.

You gritted your teeth, rubbing your sore arm, "Ugh... that went well."

Legolas tried to stifle his grin, "You made it fly, that was what counted."

"Isn't the point of it supposed to be to hit the target?"

"Not unless you want to scare someone off. Here..." He slipped a piece of leather over your thumb and around your forearm, buckling it tight, "This is a bracer. It'll protect your arm. Go ahead and draw another arrow."

You sighed and took another arrow from the quiver as Legolas stood behind you, shifting your stance so your left shoulder faced the target. You proceeded to follow each of his instructions, your concentration stuttering when you realized just how close he was, and how tenderly he caressed your form to correct it.