Dealings Inside Orthanc

After the battle at Helm's Deep, and your not-so-wonderful news, the most important issue at hand was the question of Saruman. The traitor deserved more than what Gandalf was willing to give him, but none of you would hesitate to blast him away if he was resistant. You accompanied the Fellowship, along with King Theoden and Eomer to Isengard. The biggest surprise was the immense flooding your horses had to wade through just to reach the tower. You had to wonder what happened here, then you saw Merry and Pippin. That explained some things...

"Welcome, my lords to Isengard!" A booming welcome came from the little hobbit, standing atop piles of wonderful spoils.

"You young rascals!" Gimli cried out, his worry for them apparent, "A merry hunt you've led us on and now we find you feasting and... and smoking!"

A bit slurred, Pippin replied with a sandwich in his hand, "We are sitting on a field of victory enjoying a few well earned comforts. The salted pork is particularly good."

"Salted pork." Gimli repeated, almost in disbelief.

Gandalf shook his head, "Hobbits!"

Merry continued, completely living up to his name, "Were under orders from Treebeard who's taken over management of Isengard."

Nudging Húroduil over towards the tall spire of black, Orthanc towered over your heads as you searched the tower for any sign of the white wizard. You and Gandalf had similar ideas of what you wanted from Saruman, but entirely different agendas. And you were more determined, seeing as your life literally hung on the line.

A giant tree approached you, it's trunk split into two long, gnarly legs with a grand beard of moss having from what you could devise as a face. When he spoke, it shook your heart with the power behind it, "Hoooom, young master Gandalf, Im glad you've come. Wood and water, stock and stone I can master, but there is a Wizard to manage here locked in his tower."

Aragorn searched the tower, "Show yourself."

"Be careful. Even in defeat, Saruman is dangerous." Gandalf cautioned.

You snorted under your breath, "Not if I get my hands on him..." You would not easily forget your capture and torture at the hands of the Uruk-hai because of Saruman's orders.

Gimli grunted, shifting uncomfortably in the saddle, "Well then lets just have his head and be done with it."

"No, we need him alive. We need him to talk." Gandalf spoke the very words you were thinking.

"You have fought many wars and slain many men Theoden King and made peace afterwards," An incredibly powerful voice echoed from above you as Saruman appeared at the summit of Isengard, "Can we not take counsel together as we once did, my old friend? Can we not have peace you and I?" He mocked you all with his tone of voice.

"We shall have peace," Thoeden spoke, surprising all of you, "We shall have peace when you answer for the burning of the Westfold and the children that lie dead there! We shall have peace when the lives of the soldiers whose bodies were hewn even as they lay dead against the gates of the Hornburg are avenged! When you hang from a gibbet for the sport of your own crows we shall have peace!" His voice raised with every point of treachery.

"Gibbets and crows! Dotard!" Saruman burst into outrage, "What do you want Gandalf Grahame? Let me guess the key of Orthanc? Or perhaps the keys of Barad Dr itself? Along with the crowns of the seven Kings and the rods of the Five Wizards!" He hissed and mocked Gandalf with all of his defeat.

Gandalf stayed calm, "Your treachery has already cost many lives. Thousands more are now at risk. But you could save them Saruman. You were deep in the Enemy's counsel."