A Great Loss

All the color drained from your face as sharp, bird-like cackles echoed around you. You had never actually seen an orc, and weren't too keen on laying eyes on one now, let alone fight them! On instinct, Boromir ran to the gates of the tomb to pull them shut, nearly getting pierced by a couple black arrows.

Aragorn pushed all the hobbits behind him, "Get back! Stay close to Gandalf!"

Each one of the halflings did as told, but kept on a brave face as they braced their small swords. Frodo's blade Sting, shone with a pale blue color at the presence of evil. Not quite at your panicking point yet, you kept a level head as you aided the men in bracing the gates with anything you could find around you.

At the loud rumble of a distant roar, Boromir rolled his eyes in disbelief, "They have a cave troll!"

By the sound of it, a 'cave troll' was not something to be enjoyed. More like some giant brutish pet that barbaric warriors would sick on their enemies. Bellhûn's blade glistened in the cold light as you shuffled back to stand beside Aragorn and Legolas who had their bows drawn at the ready. Your heart leaped in your chest at the sight of the gates shuddering under the pounding weight. Gimli however, was more eager as he stood upon the gravestone and braced his axe with a growl, "Argh! Let them come! There is one dwarf in Moria who still draws breath!"

Your eyes began to widen and your breath grew heavy with every second the frail gate looked like it would crack. Dark figures moved angrily behind the cracks, stabbing, slicing and hacking away bits of the wooden planks. Dull ends of black iron chopped through the weaker parts trying to get through. Letting out a calm breath, Legolas released the arrow before any figure made an appearance. A sharp squeal sounded behind the wood as the shaft hit it's mark. With a thundering 'crack' the rotting wood snapped away from the hinges to slam upon the floor in a dusty cloud.

Your body tensed at the sight of dark, mutilated figures lumbering towards you. The initial paralyzing fear that grew in your chest was knocked aside at the sound of Legolas's great bow singing beside you. His speed was unparalleled, even by Aragorn who picked a few off, the shafts sticking out of their skulls. There was no time left to think or prepare yourself for battle, even though Boromir's teachings rang in your head, you forgot everything as an orc's filthy body bulleted towards you. Shoving your staff into his face with a crackling battle cry, you were taken aback when the orc rammed into you, trying to slice you open. You somehow managed to block it with your staff as he sneered in your face with the breath of sickly meat, his pale lips curling over sharp teeth. His jaundice eyes went wide for a moment before gurgling and tumbling to the ground.

It caught you by surprise at first, until you felt something warm ooze between your fingers at the hilt of Bellhûn. You didn't even get the chance to realize you killed him when another orc appeared on your left, swinging his broad sword. Raising Bellhûn to meet his blade, your wrist almost buckled from the force, but you regained your grip and slashed at his side letting him fall. He was replaced with yet another to your right and behind you. Just as you took out the one before you, something dark and wet sprayed the side of your face as Aragorn decapitated the orc charging you. Before you could even gag at the sickly metallic taste, the crumbling of rocks and a beastly roar shook you to your bones.

Dust and debris floated about the entrance as a hulking naked form emerged from the darkness bracing a club of heavy rock. A flat face supported a mouth of rotting teeth as a piece of rusted iron circled it's neck, dragging with it a giant chain. Legolas' arrow immediately pierced it's chest, hardly making it wince, but infuriating it. Just as it raised it's club, you dove under it's legs to feel the earth quiver beneath your hands and knees at the impact behind you. Realizing it missed its target, the troll turned with a growl as you scrambled back into the wall, trying to get to your feet. Just before you were squashed into jelly, Boromir and Aragorn yanked at it's chain, pulling it back. In rage the troll swung at Boromir, slamming him against the far wall and knocking the wind from his lungs.