Into the Wild and Weathertop

As you feared, your sleep was shallow and very disturbed. Every single noise alerted you, jolting you awake in fear of the nazgul. Trying to calm yourself back to sleep, you would notice the fire had slowly died, and Strider sat alert in his chair by the window. You wondered if he got any sleep at all that night, and felt a bit foolish for complaining aloud in the morning when Frodo asked about your night. You were very thankful though for Strider's advice, when you passed your room on the way out of the inn. The sight terrified you, and you could hardly imagine what would have happened if you were stubborn enough to sleep here: the windows had been forced open and were swinging; the bed was tossed about, and slashed upon the floor, torn to pieces.

The sun had barely risen when you had finished getting ready for the long trek across the wilderness. Strider had disappeared once with Sam, bringing back a rather scrawny pony named Bill, half-near death to carry the heaviest of your bags. Your heart went out to the poor creature, and quickly became friends with him. On your way out of Bree you passed a dark and unkempt house behind a tall hedge, in which a voice shouted from, "Morning, Longshanks!" A pair of scornful eyes and heavy brows peeped over the hedge, directing his salutation to Strider, "Off early? Found some friends at last?" Strider nodded politely, not gracing the man with an answer. "Morning, my little friends! Oh, and good morning to you, Missy!" He called out to you with a slight raise in his tone.

You grimaced at attracting attention from unwanted admirers, and barely broke out a smile. It was too early in the morning for this, but he continued, "I suppose you know who you've taken up with? That's Stick-at-naught Strider, that is! Though I've heard other name not so pretty. Watch out tonight, Missy!" He chuckled at the look of alarm on your face. Strider closed his eyes in a deep frustrated sigh.

Frodo turned quickly, "And you! Put your ugly face out of sight, or it will get hurt!" With a sudden flick, an apple left his hand and hit the man square on the nose. He ducked too late, and curses came from behind the hedge. Considering the situation, you almost burst out laughing, but restrained yourself with a bright smile at the hobbit. Frodo muttered to himself, "Waste of a good apple..."

Your smile slowly disappeared as you continued into the wilderness. Though you weren't really afraid of Strider, he was still much taller and stronger than you, and a man none the less. You wouldn't have considered the awful possibility of violation unless the stranger hadn't pointed it out. Though Strider was so far kind and honorable, it was still something to be heeded.

Merry still felt uncomfortable trusting this man, and asked honestly, "Where are you taking us?"

"Into the wild." Was his only answer, not even bothering to glance back.

Sam came up close to Frodo to whisper, "How do we know this, 'Strider' is a friend of Gandalf?"

Frodo glanced around, and up ahead at the man scouting the terrain, "I think a servant of the enemy would look fairer and feel fouler."

"He's foul enough." Merry grumbled under his breath about his lack of hygiene.

You felt obliged to pipe in, bitting your lip, "We have no choice but to trust him."

"But where is he leadin' us?" Sam questioned in earnest.

"Rivendell, master Gamgee," Strider spoke from up ahead, "To the house of Elrond."

Your eyes widened when you realized he had heard your entire conversation, while Sam's excitement flourished, "Did you hear that? Rivendell! We're going to see the elves!"

Strider led a quick pace across the rugged terrain, and it took a bit before you felt comfortable not glancing at your feet in fear of tripping. It wasn't long before your mind began to wander in the silence of the morning. Flying back home. To places you missed and people that built your life. It had been almost five months since your strange awakening in this new realm. In all honesty, you felt like a lost puppy that tagged along at the back of everyone's heels. That or an alien appendage. You didn't like thinking of it like that, but you couldn't help it! You didn't belong here, and this quest wasn't your burden to bear.