The Last of All Good Things

"Tonight we remember those who gave their blood to defend this country," Theoden rose a goblet in front of him, "Hail the victorious dead."

"Hail!" Everyone returned the toast, raising their goblets.

You put the cup to your lips, remembering the night at Helm's Deep before you drank. You had forgotten that this wasn't exactly apple-juice that you were drinking. The ale was very strong and kind of bitter, and burned a little at the back of your throat. What felt good though was the heat it brought inside, spreading through your blood and warming your limbs. You were going to enjoy yourself tonight; drinking, dancing, flirting. Whatever it took to feel alive... Who knew, this might be your last chance to celebrate anything.

Almost immediately, the hall burst into life as music and laughter rolled around you. You sought out your friends, finding Legolas and Gimli first. Gimli sat before a table with large casks sitting upon them and tankards of ale piled before him.

You walked up next to Eomer to see what exactly was going on, "What are you guys up to?"

Eomer smiled at your presence and handed Legolas a tankard of frothy ale, "No pauses, no spills."

"And no regurgitation!" Gimli grinned as he lifted the tankard to his mouth.

"So its a drinking game?" The elf asked.

"Aye!" The whole of the Rohirrim cried out in laughter.

"Last one standing wins, heh heh heh!" Gimli chuckled, sure he was to get the upper hand against the elf this time! With a few solid gulps, Gimli downed his tankard in one go, grinning as he started on his next one.

You chuckled, "Well this should be entertaining."

A bit hesitant, Legolas slowly began to drink his ale, starting to find the taste rather enjoyable. You leaned back against a pillar beside Eomer to watch the contest, taking a sip or two of ale every now and then. It slowly began to taste better as the night went on, and you were genuinely enjoying yourself.

Gimli started to let loose a few farts, making you grin. He was looking the worse for wear, "Heh heh heh heh! Here, here!" He took another tankard, "Raaar its the dwarves that go swimming with little, hairy women haha!"

His comment caught you in the middle of taking a swig, and you burst out laughing, ale shooting out of your nose. You immediately clasped a hand over your mouth, laughing hysterically and tearing up from the burn it caused.

Eomer tried really hard not to laugh as he put a hand on your shoulder, "Are you alright, ____?"

You nodded, wiping away whatever liquid that was on your face, "Yeah... I'm fine." You laughed along with the Rohirrim.

Legolas put down his tankard and looked at his fingers, concerned, "I feel something. A slight tingle in my fingers. I think its affecting me!" He looked across to you and winked.

Gimli chuckled, rocking a little in his seat as he slurred out a few sentences, "Heh heh heh, what did I say? He cant hold his liquor..." His eyes cross for a moment, then keels over backwards off his stool.

Legolas watched him fall, turned to Eomer and shrugged, "Game over."

"How in the world are you not drunk yet?" You asked, a bit astounded, seeing all the empty tankards sitting in front of him.

Legolas grinned, "Being an elf, you get a few privileges along with immortality. And my father has a strong taste for wine, so... You can imagine the contests I had with the guards in the cellars behind my father's back." He grinned mischievously.