Chapter Twenty-Nine | Percy

I watched as they took her

I watched as they took her. She wasn't fighting back like the night we told her. She accepted her fate. I was sad for her. Truly sad about what happened. I saw the Duvann twins. They loved each other. It never came to me that I would be the cause of their destruction. Apparently, my secret affair—if I could call that—with Grace was one reason why Leigh developed all those people inside her head. All along, I thought I was talking to Grace and looking out for Leigh, but it was otherwise. I handed the diary to Officer Ryans as it was an evidence for this case.

          I spent the night at Leigh's. I wanted to hold her in my arms. I loved that girl so much, why would I even let them take her? If things didn't come to this, I would've ask her to go on a vacation out of the country. Grace mentioned that Leigh didn't like planes so I wanted to help her out with that. None of that would happen now, and if time came, I didn't think Leigh would even want to be close to me anymore. She had her back to me all throughout the night. I thought of pulling her towards me but every time I reached out, I stopped midway. It felt so wrong. I was one reason why her heart was breaking right now.

          "I feel sorry for those two," mom said beside me as we watched the police car drove away. "Leigh is such a sweet girl while her sister is the opposite of her. I'm surprised it's Leigh who got the will to do that thing to her sister."

           I crossed my arms. "She's sick. She didn't know what she's doing," I reasoned out.

           "Still. I don't want you getting close to her. Well, you can't visit her anymore now anyway," she said before going back inside.

           I sighed. I went out and walked my way to their house. At the porch, I saw a piece of folded paper on the welcome mat with my name on it. I picked it up and unfolded it.

                     Dear Percy,

                    I apologize for what I did. Maybe it's not directly a harm to you but I'm still sorry for it. I know you like my sister. Grace was a sweet girl, even sweeter than me. My feelings had been the hindrance to all of this. If I came to you or to Grace and tell what I really feel... what I really know, things like this wouldn't have happened. I love you, Percy. Not as much as I love my sister, but I love you. But maybe you'd think that if I love Grace so much, why would I even kill her? Or even, why would I had this urge inside me to kill her?

                    It's this feeling for you that created that urge. I so wanted to be Grace, I'd been more than that. I'd been selfish. I wanted to be fearless, I became fearless, someone who wasn't afraid to kill anyone.

                    I realized now that being twins didn't mean being so similar no one could hardly notice the differences. Even twins, there would still be differences. I just never thought to be like her, I'd have to end her life. I was cruel.