Chapter Twelve | Leigh

2 MONTHS AGO

2 MONTHS AGO

I was glad that Grace finally forgave me. I was even happier to know that she's okay with me hanging out with Percy. It was easier to go out. I always made sure that she knew I was going to Percy's otherwise she'd be mad again. She said to me the night she forgave me was, I could do anything I wanted. I just had to tell her so at least she knew what I was doing or where to find me. At first I was okay with that set up, but then I noticed that every time I tell her I was going to Percy's, she always asked me what time I'd be home or if he would drop by at the house. Maybe she wanted to hang out with him as well. So what I did was, I invited Percy.

          It was Monday. Percy was in school. Grace and I stopped schooling. We had jobs but Grace wanted me to just be home so she was the only one feeding the both of us. I wanted to work as well but she disagreed, saying that I couldn't be out there because people were nasty. She said, I couldn't take the nasty people. If I could win an argument with her then that's the only time she'd allow me to work. But as of the moment, I always fail to do that.

          I waited for Percy at the porch. It was three thirty pm. He's about to be home. And speaking of him, I saw his mom's car pulled over to their driveway. Her mom waved at me as Percy gave her a kiss on the cheek. Percy bounced as he made his way to me. He'd be eighteen on Sunday and he was so excited to finally get a car of his own. He said he'd drive it with me once it arrived.

         "Hey, you," I greeted him, wrapping my arms around his neck.

         He grinned and leaned in for a kiss but I moved to the side, making him kiss my cheek instead. "No fair," he said.

         I giggled. "Grace is home," I told him.

         "So? Grace is okay with us," he said with a frown.

         I knew she was okay with us but I was feeling it's not entirely okay with her.

         I shoved the thought in the back of my head. I smiled to him and leaned close to give him what he wanted but then the front door open. Percy and I backed away from each other.

         "Percy, you're here," she said. She smiled at me and I returned the gesture. "I baked a mocha roll. You want to try it?" Her eyes lighted up whenever she talked to Percy. I had to ask her about that later when it's just the two of us.

          "Oh mocha's my favorite!" he exclaimed, jumping on his place.

         "I know. Leigh mentioned that to me. Come on." She opened the door wide enough for him to get in. I smiled but deep inside I was feeling a little jealousy again. I couldn't bake anything like her. I had to study so I could make something on my for Percy.

          I followed them afterwards. Percy had a slice of the mocha roll on his plate when I got in the kitchen. They were talking about the ingredients and I felt left alone once more.

          "Mom usually put some chocolate chips whenever she makes one but,"—Percy shrugged—"I don't like it."

         "Oh my God! I don't like chocolate chips as well. But I don't like them on any cake," she said, like it's nothing.

         I hated that they had something in common.

         "Leigh," he finally noticed me, "you should try this. It's so good." I knew how good Grace's cooking.

          "Maybe later. I'll just be in my room." I walked out of the scene.

                                                                                ░ ▒ ░    

It hadn't occurred to me that Percy might not follow me in my room. It had been two hours since he got here in the house but no Percy. He was still in the house but with Grace. How could I let those two be alone?

          I scratched my head in irritation. I shouldn't be jealous. Grace knew what Percy was to me but what if...

          "Leigh?" The door opened slightly and I saw Percy peeked. "Can I come in?" he asked, smiling.

           I rolled my eyes. "Of course you can. I've been waiting for you," I told him, crossing my arms over my chest.

          He winced. "Sorry for making you wait. Grace talks a lot and I couldn't just excuse myself."

          "That's Grace alright. She knew how to make a conversation. She's always the one on the spotlight. I sometimes wish I'm here so I can do everything she does as well."

          "Hey." He lifted my chin. Our eyes met. Mine were shining in tears, his was glowing in tenderness. "You don't have to be here to be able to do what she can. You just have to be yourself."

          "But this is me, Percy. This is all I can do. I hide behind her shadow."

           "Then step out. Step away further. Create your own shadow. You don't have to share a shadow with her. And you shouldn't be jealous of her as well."

         I swatted his hand away, frowning. "I'm not jealous of her. Please." I waved a hand.

          "Yeah, you aren't." He lay down on my bed. "Leigh, can I ask you something?"

          "What is it?" I looked at him.

          He propped up his head on his elbow. "Can you be my girlfriend?"

          My eyes widened, surprised. "What?"

          He chuckled. "I want you to be my girlfriend, Leigh. Be my girlfriend."

         "We only know each other for like, what, two weeks?"

          "Who cares about that? Some people get together after a day? So?"

          "But Grace..."

         "Grace is fine with us, remember?"

         She wasn't completely okay with us, I tried to say, but I knew he would ask why. That's the question I didn't have an answer to.

          "Okay."

           "Okay as in..."

          "Yes, I want to be your girlfriend." I smiled.

          His eyes grew wide as smile crept to his face. Without a word, I felt his lips on mine. Slowly, my eyes closed and kissed him back. I was glad to take this new step without Grace being mad with me... with us. I was happy I had something I didn't have to share with Grace. I knew she'd be happy as well.

          "This is so great. This is the best birthday gift anyone has given me."

          When Grace told me that Percy had a girlfriend, I got disappointed because I liked him the first time I saw him. But when he cleared that out to me, saying that he didn't have any girlfriend left, I was happy.

         "Our first date should happen on my birthday, okay?"

         I just nodded. Staring into each other's eyes, I knew I did the right thing. I made my own decision. If Grace got mad, she would get over it fast. She knew this was for my happiness.I was lucky that Grace wasn't the only who cared for me now. There was Percy and I was glad I got to see him on a deeper level.