Chapter Three | Grace

Tears had spilled my eyes as I looked at me and Leigh photos on facebook

Tears had spilled my eyes as I looked at me and Leigh photos on facebook. All the good ones were in there. I saw the photos we took when we went to Disneyland. She was so happy. I wanted to see her smile again. I hoped she would come back. I missed her. Even though we fight sometimes, we both knew that we only have each other. Why would she leave me alone?

           I chose the prettiest picture of her and edited it with the details. I printed hundreds of it so that later today when Percy returned, we could start posting these outside. We'd been doing this but I didn't want to lose hope. She was not kidnapped and... and killed. I wanted to be positive. But it's been two months. Two months without communication. I couldn't take it.

           The front door opened, Percy calling out my name. I hurried towards him and feel his warmth. His warm embrace had been my comfort since the moment Leigh had gone missing.

          "I brought you a food," he told me.

          "I miss Leigh," I cried.

           "We both do." He pushed me a little so he could look at my face. "Now, you have to eat. Okay?" I nodded. He kissed me on the forehead before leading both of us to the kitchen.

           I simply stared at the counter as he prepared the food. We both knew we didn't have to think. In the first place, we're not that close. He was closer to Leigh. But after Leigh went missing, he became close to me.

           "Sometimes I feel like you're only doing this because I look like Leigh," I mumbled.

           He sighed. "Stop, Grace."

           "No, Percy. We haven't talked about this since that day, and it's been months." I looked up at him, my eyes stinging with tears. "Let's talk about this. Now is the time for it, Percy."

           He ran a hand to his face, a tired expression plastered on his face. "There's nothing to talk about. Eat up so we can start posting those photos you printed." He walked past me but I grabbed his hand.

          "I know you love Leigh. I'm not saying you should stop doing so. I just pity myself. Most of your gestures... I saw you do those things to Leigh. Like kissing her on the forehead. You see her to me. You miss her so you do those things to me," I told him, head down. I let go of his hand.

          "I love Leigh. I miss her. But I would never do something like use you just because you're her twin. You're Grace. You are different. The one thing you should avoid at this point is to compare yourself to Leigh. You two are very much alike but it doesn't mean you have to be the same with everything." He pulled me out of my chair. "Stop comparing yourself to Leigh." He cupped my cheeks. The tears were flowing down my cheeks. "Stop, okay?" This time he didn't kiss me on the forehead. He kissed me on my lips. It was fast but I felt his lips. It was soft, like what Leigh always told me.

           God, I hated that Leigh got to kiss him first.