Chapter Nineteen | Grace

It was still dark when I decided to take a drive

It was still dark when I decided to take a drive. I'd been wanting to go to the cabin since Leigh started missing but Percy was always with me. I knew I'd find some answers there. We were there two months ago.

           As I put the car on the drive, I saw something on the passenger's seat. It's a coffee bean. Frowning as I picked it, I threw it outside. Then I gasped when I saw a figure on the rear view mirror. I turned my head to take a proper look and saw no one. I was only imagining things. I had to get to the cabin as soon as I could. I would never be at ease unless I arrived at that place. Something was telling me that this had gone all wrong.

         My hands were shaking so I gripped on the wheel tighter. To be in an accident was not on my list right now. What the police said... that's not true. How could they tell me things I knew? How could they question my presence and my sisters'?

         That's when I remembered I left the envelope in my room. I should've brought it with me. That way, I could summarize everything, take bits by bits. It would help me solve my sister's mystery. I hadn't opened that. The cops' words were enough for me to know something was wrong. Whoever killed her, they done it clean. No evidence was left. All things pointed out to Leigh. She wouldn't kill herself. She wasn't suicidal. So I knew they clean up everything and used Leigh's fingerprints to everything. But I was sure they weren't that smart.

          Even with Leigh's stuff appearing everywhere was still a mystery I couldn't answer. They knew Leigh so much. They had access in the house. But we didn't have that much close friends. We barely even go out and talk to our neighbors. As I thought about it, there was only one person who could go in and out of the house without the need to knock. He would just appear behind you, surprised you. I didn't want to think that he could do something like that, but then, who would even do it if it wasn't him?

         I arrived at the cabin. The sun was up in the sky already. I parked the car and grabbed my notebook. I never mentioned this cabin to the police. I never wanted anyone to know about this place. It's me and Leigh's sanctuary. This was our solace. Only the two of us could get in here.

         I gasped when I opened the door. It wasn't what I expected.

         The bean bags were cut open. The coffee table and television set was broken. The curtains were ripped. It stunk. Everything in here was so different. I went to our room to check the other things. The room was untouched. All the things were still in place, only... the bed. It's unmade, like someone just got out of it.

         I swallowed. Who was here?

         There's another break from outside.

         I grabbed the baseball bat under the bed and slowly made my way outside. There's a rock, about a size of a paperback on the top of the broken coffee table. I walked towards it. There were writings on it. It said, "You think you can just get away like that?" Then another break.