TLF Chapter 33.

The first thing Fang did when he woke up in the morning was to take out that big notebook he'd bought the night before. He turned it over in his hands and examined, wondering if all those things were worth parting with a one hundred-dollar bill.

It was a black five-subject spiral bound college ruled notebook. And the first thing he did with it was to start writing, using an ink pen he'd found in one of the pews of the cathedral. He sat there in the back row his head bowed writing. Words seemed to come from nowhere but everywhere at the same time.

Aaron walked up a few times and asked him what he was doing but Fang simply shook his head and moved so his brother couldn't see the pages.

Then, when Max called that they were getting ready to leave he hid the notebook at the bottom of his pack with the can of mandarin oranges, the Band-Aids, the disposable camera, and the jar of instant coffee, then he shoved the ink pen into his pocket. He stepped outside the church and sat on the steps, looking up to see Pale Male perched in the bell tower sending calm feelings.

Fang asked him to come down but the bird didn't, instead he sent slightly frightened angry feelings down and Fang knew. Smells like people and cars. Bad. I could get hurt.

So Fang said his goodbye from the front step and watched as Pale Male bobbed his head three times and flew away.

He felt quite alone after that ... Not having those constant loving sensations from the big falcon, but he knew. My world is not his and his is not mine...

Father Donovan cornered them before they got a chance to leave and gave them all little sliver medallions on silk cords.

Aaron was the one to explain what these medallions were as they were flying over New Jersey.

"They're Saint Christopher's medals ... Saint Christopher is the patron saint of..." He paused when he realized nobody knew what the heck he was talking about. "It's for protection."

Max wasn't that impressed with hers but Fang tucked his beneath his shirt close to his heart.

Ella loved flying, even though she was pinned to Iggy's chest. "This is SO cool!" She put out her arms and closed her eyes, "I wish I had wings so you wouldn't have to carry me," She whispered to Iggy.

He smiled and kissed the top of her head, "I like carrying you."

"You would, like, catch me if I fell, right?"

Iggy nodded, "Of course."

"Good."

"Max, you should take her to hyper speed."

"Oh, my GOD! Can you?"

Max shook her head, "Sorry, I can only carry half my bodyweight."

Ella's eyebrows drew down, "But I weigh more than half of Iggy."

Iggy shrugged, "It doesn't bother me for some reason."

So Ella contented herself with closing her eyes and spreading her arms out into the wind. "Its kind of hard to breathe up here, mind if we go down a ways?"

Max shook her head and they dropped a few hundred feet so Ella could breathe easier and the sunset colored the sky orange...

Aaron cleared his throat and started singing loudly, in Iggy's voice, "On top of spaghetti, all covered with cheese, I lost my poor meatball, when somebody sneezed! It rolled off the table, and into the floor. My poor little meatball, rolled right out the door!"

Iggy sneered at him, "Very funny, you're making me hungry. Are there any restaurants around here? What is it with you guys and teasing me with spaghetti and meatballs?"