TLF Chapter 42

Dr. Martinez was looking at the X-ray from a little poodle that's leg had been run over by a three-year-old boy on a tricycle when Sharon White tapped her on the shoulder. "Val, I just got a phone call from your daughter Ella … She said that you need to come home right away."

Fear curdled her stomach and she nodded, trying to remain as emotionless as possible. "They've probably misplaced the remote again," She smiled, "This is what happens when you have a house full of sick kids," And she hung her lab coat in the closet and puled on her fleece jacket. She took her purse from her locker and slowly walked out of the building, trying not to look hurried.

She took her time climbing into her car but as soon as she was out of sight of the clinic she pressed her foot on the gas and made it home in about five minutes.

Nudge was lying across the steps bawling her eyes out, Angel, Total, David and Gasman were trying to comfort her but it wasn't doing any good.

"What happened? Where are the others?" She felt nauseous. Why was Nudge wearing pajamas and no shoes?

"ANGEL, WHAT HAPPENED?"

Iggy and Ella rushed out of the house hand in hand Iggy carrying a backpack.

"Where are you going?" Dr. Martinez shrieked, "Where are they, where is Max?"

Ella paused in front of her mother, "Mommy, I love you," She flung her arms around her mother's neck and kissed her cheek. "I love you so much, but we have to go. Angel and Gazzy will tell you everything but we have to go, now."

Iggy wrapped his arms around Ella and sprang into the air.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

Max banged her fists against the doors, trying to break them open so she could get out. She had to get out so she could murder Amy Howard!

Her right leg hurt terribly and she'd been afraid to move it since she'd been thrown into the back of the van lest she should hurt it worse than it already was. She was sweating and shivering and she knew that if she stopped moving, stopped trying to escape even for a second she'd slip into shock.

She had to get out!

She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, holding it and focusing all her energy onto pounding that door with her fists and kicking it with her left leg as hard as her bare feet could stand it.

She'd searched the door for a latch of some kind, but had been unable to find one… She was trapped.

Max screamed in rage and kicked the door hard with both feet.

Everything went white and she woke up sometime later sprawled on her back numb with cold, her leg throbbing fingertips tingling…

Had she fainted?

She giggled in her head at the thought.

How long was I out? What day is it?

She could tell by her inner sense of direction that they were a good distance to the west from where she remembered being last. She was in New Mexico now, and they were facing a near perfect West.

She's taking me home, that's funny.

And then the van slowed to a stop and a few seconds later the doors flew open and Max was roughly grabbed and yanked out by a Wizard.

The Wizard stood her up and she found herself staring into its eyes. It had surprisingly large eyes, and unlike the eyes of other Wizards, these appeared to be almost human. But before she could open her mouth to scream and curse it her leg crumpled and she fell onto cool grass.