TLF Chapter 16.

"Its ME ... Oh, God, Fang it was me all along!" Iggy didn't have time to finish his sentence before a scream split the night.

Fang's eyes shot heavenward and he saw seven shadows moving quickly toward them.

Then he heard Angel's voice in his head, HELP ME I CAN'T STOP!

"WINGS OUT!" He screamed, praying she heard him.

And the center shadow expanded, two white wings bursting from it.

She was moving so fast!

He saw her face, tears tracking the dirt on her cheeks and he ran at her his arms going out. He saw her big blue eyes go wide and as she appeared to be on the verge of shooting past him he leapt into the air. Grabbing her around the waist and throwing out his much larger wings, braking. Pain tore across his back and his left wing threatened to turn backward again, but he dug his heels into the dirt ripping twin troughs through the sand nearly fifteen feet long.

They crumpled to the ground and the monsters Fang had named Wizards zoomed straight up screeching and then aimed back into the night at a forlorn shadow hanging in front of the moon.

"DAVID!" Aaron's voice was high, near frantic and he started running, his wings snapping out.

Fang stared in awe as his older brother, who had never before flown, leapt into the air and began flying upward, chasing the Wizards his big, white and black tipped wings beating in perfect sync.

And Fang felt himself following pulling up beside Aaron, who he realized was cursing bitterly in a child's voice and staring down at the ground his eyes wide. "I am going to die!"

"Just keep going!" He shouted and passed Aaron, flying as quickly as he could toward Max and his younger brother.

The rope like tongue wrapped itself around her ankle and started pulling her backward, slowing her, but she continued to flap as if her life depended on it ... Which, she realized, it did.

She kept flapping, praying the whole time that the monster's tongue wasn't as securely attached to its throat as she believed it to be.

"You're not going to eat me!" She screamed and banked sharply to the left.

The moon and stars swiveled as she turned, David clutched to her chest. She wished he'd stop screaming it was giving her a headache. Another shadow loomed out of the darkness before her and her head split in two.

Everything went a blinding shade of white. All sound faded to a soft whispering, like the wind blowing past her as she soared high above everything, a lone bird-girl in a world only she and her flock would ever experience.

All fear faded and all motion stopped. She heard herself inhale, she felt David trembling in her arms and she looked down at him but saw nothing except the same dazzling whiteness. She was a small spark of a thought floating in the entire expanse of the universe.

Am I dead? She thought, and her voice whispered in her ear, soft, young, feminine ... and she pictured her own lips moving the sound was so real. Did I die ... Did I get David killed?

Somewhere in the brightness she felt someone smile, a tender, loving, fatherly smile and she heard her Voice. Calm, cool but firm.

You're not dead Maximum, you didn't get David killed, not yet ... But you have to trust me, do you understand? You MUST trust me this time and do what I say or you ARE going to die.

I understand ... That same, whispered, soft girly voice.

The brightness started to fade and the tingling feeling of motion began to return, slowly, like a rusty film projector beginning to spin a movie after decades of neglect.