TLF Chapter 29.

Aaron stumbled into the kitchen followed by Fang and the rest of the extended Flock. He sat down heavily at the table and let Dr. Martinez look at his throat, which had turned a miraculous shade of purple.

"I'll get some ice, and you start explaining..."

He nodded and rubbed gingerly at his arm waiting for the others to sit or take standing positions around the room.

Dr. Martinez returned with an icepack and handed it to Aaron, who instead of putting it on his neck, pressed it to his arm where Fang had punched him.

"I ... I'm not sure where to begin."

"How about with your name? Your REAL name," Nudge whispered and rested her chin on folded hands.

Aaron cleared his throat, "I-I don't really have one ... The scientists at the Institute called me Constantine, after the historical figure ... I'm not quite sure why though ... I think it was because of my abilities..."

"If we were born like this and Avian DNA wasn't purposefully implanted in us then how did you get abilities?" Fang said and leaned against the stove his arms crossed.

Aaron smiled, "You forget that they DID implant Avian DNA into mum, they gave her abilities so the same things they did to her carried on to us."

"Okay ... What are your abilities?"

He sighed and scratched at his head a moment before he continued, "Well, I've got the touch thing ... But I don't know what to call it, I'm also able to mimic any voice I hear, just like Gasser. And I've got a knack for making the females weak in the knees. That and I can talk to birds."

"You can talk to birds?" Iggy scoffed.

"Yeah, and I'd be willing to bet Nick can if he were to try."

Fang's mouth went dry again. Was it possible? Could he really have an ability? "How will I know if I can do it or not?"

"Well, if you can look at a bird and think 'come here you little bugger!' and they come to you then you've got it down I suppose. I can't really explain it."

"So its like mind control?"

Aaron shook his head and chuckled, "No, because sometimes they'll say 'piss off!' and fly away."

Fang nodded and decided that tomorrow morning he WOULD find a bird and see if he could talk to it. No matter how stupid he looked.

Max bit her lip and spoke, voicing the question burning in everyone's minds. "Are you and Fang really twins?"

Aaron nodded.

"If you two are twins, then why don't you look anything alike?" Gasman said loudly.

Aaron sighed, "Because we're not identical twins ... I take after mum and Nick takes after Dad."

He had a relaxed smile on his face and Max wondered how she could have gone so long without knowing that Aaron was only sixteen. He didn't look any older than Fang without his glasses.

Fang's face slowly crumbled and he looked at the floor, "How long was it after we were born that the whitecoats got us?"

Aaron shook his head, "I don't know ... Dad wouldn't tell me, he just said that all our secrets are safely hidden under our hats."

Fang's head snapped up and he stared at Aaron, "What did you say?"

Aaron's eyebrows scrunched together and he repeated himself, "Dad said that all our secrets are hidden under our hats. I thought he'd misspoken at first but he insisted that what he said was right. Our secrets are hidden under our hats."