63 - a fitting end

About two weeks later in the late afternoon a tired group of people checked into the hotel that was owned by the werewolf council in the late afternoon.  They had been traveling since the previous morning and although the four babies had behaved themselves for the first part of the journey; they had been more than a handful since early that morning.  And even though Alex hired a mini bus from the local school; everybody still felt cramped and tired after traveling non stop for so long.  Those who did not have any babies yet were very relieved that they would at least have some peace and quiet for the rest of the afternoon and evening.  And they were glad that they did not have to worry about feedings and changing and burping and teething and every other type of –ing that went hand in hand with raising a child.

This whole trip had actually managed to make Liz seriously rethink her timetable as far as starting a family was concerned.  She had planned to fall pregnant as soon as she and Derrick were married.  Now she wasn’t so sure anymore.

Conrad and Grace were equally relieved that they still had some time before they would have to cope with that type of situation; but Grace also knew that the babies were only feeling upset about the long time they spent traveling.  At one stage she even considered crying right alongside the four of them in pure frustration.

But no matter how grateful the others were; none could be more grateful that the parents.  Cassy knew that a nice bath and some relaxed feeding time were all the irritated babies needed to calm down.  One and a half hour later and Tyler was still crying; worse than before.  And when he was crying; his sisters were crying too.

“Shall I find out how Ricky is doing?”  Alex asked as Cassy was bust rocking Tyler in an attempt to put him to sleep.

A thoughtful expression appeared on her face.  “Perhaps that is a good idea; if he is also unhappy; they should bring him over here.  That might be why Tyler is acting up.”

Alex nodded and sent a mental query to his brother.  [Am I interrupting anything?]

Even though Alex could not see Brian; he was sure he rolled his eyes at his question.  [Ricky started interrupting a long time ago; so go for it.]

[Actually; that is what we wanted to know.  Tyler is upset and we can’t find anything to cause it; so we thought of you guys.]

[We didn’t do anything!]  Brian said innocently.

Alex took a moment before he replied.  [You sounded way too much like Conrad just then; one joker in the family is enough thank you.]

[Humph!  Why is he the only one allowed to make fun of stuff?  Besides; now that he had Grace he has calmed down quite a lot and I think that allows the rest of us to make obvious note of the funnier side of things.]

[Please just keep it to the odd occasion if you really and truly have to.]

[Sure; so why did you interrupt in the first place?]

[If Ricky is not calming down; bring him over to us; Cassy thinks if the four of them are together; they will calm down enough to actually get some sleeping done before they get to the annoyingly over tired stage.]

[If you ask me; they are there already.  OK then; I’ll bring him over now.]

Alex could hear the door across theirs open and soon after that a knock sounded on the door just as Alex put his hand on the door handle.  Without wasting any time Alex took the crying baby and walked off with him.

[Let me know if this doesn’t work.]  Brian said as he turned to walk out again.  He had run Sam a bubble bath as soon as Ricky was bathed and fed.  With her not being a werewolf; she was not as resilient as they were and he thought a relaxing bath would refresh her enough so that she could enjoy the rest of the evening.  They were going to have dinner in the restaurant downstairs with some of the other guest that had also arrived early.  With Ricky at Alex’s; he could join her now and they could ‘relax’ together.