36- table for two

The drive to the diner was the most frustrating experience he had ever been through.  Sitting behind her, holding her lightly was the single most unsatisfying thing ever.  His imagination had worked overtime until he had realized what effect these thoughts were having on his body, then he had to work very hard to un-imagine to calm down, the last thing he wanted was to scare her away.

He was relieved his torture was over when they stopped and got off, he held his hand to take the helmet from her; but she surprised him by grabbing it and dragging him into the diner.  They waited only a few seconds to be seated.

Sam was antsy.  This guy made her nervous.  She clicked her tongue at herself; come on girl; be honest with yourself.  He doesn’t make you nervous.  You do that good enough all by yourself.  He makes you feel safe in the strangest way; and that; makes you nervous.

She watched as the young waiter walked up to them, his eyes widening for a brief moment before dropping to the ground.  He kept his eyes on the ground until he reached them, then he looked up; but still did not make eye contact with Brian.

“A table for two; somewhere out of the way please.”

The boy’s eyes almost popped out; he flashed her a look, then he glanced at Brian quickly.  “Yes sir.  This way please.”

He took them to a table that was tucked away in a cosy corner surrounded by lovely ferns, so she didn’t mind as much at the liberty he had taken.  He asked them for their drinks order.  They both ordered fresh juice.  Brian cleared his throat and she smiled.

“I would like to order the Sunday Special for the lady.”  Brian said, looking at the boy; making him nervous.

“Uh...” he wet his lips nervously.  “I will have to get the manager.”  He spoke apologetically.

“That’s OK.”  Brain said serenely, “Please call him.”

Thankful to escape the boy rushed off to the swing door leading to the kitchen.

Not even one minute later a bulky man rushed out of the kitchen in full steam; and if she wasn’t with Brian, he really would have frightened her.  The funniest thing happened then, and for a long time she would wonder about it.  He steamed up to them, gathering momentum with every step he took; but when he saw Brian he stopped dead in his tracks, swaying on his feet.

“You ordered the Sunday Special?”  His voice was accusing.

She saw the tiniest smirk on his face.  “Yes, that was me.”

“We only do those on Sundays.”  The big man pouted.  Pouted!  Honestly, she had never thought in her life; that she would see something like that!

“I realize that.”  Brain said, soothingly.  “But I would appreciate it if you would do me this favour.”  He looked at the huge man intently, and in her imagination she saw them having a wordless debate about her breakfast.

To her utter amazement, the stranger capitulated.  “Please do not let anybody know about this.  Our reputation will be shot if this gets out.”  He pleaded with them, giving her an inquisitive once over.

She felt a slight tremor in the table that was stuck between her and Brain’s chests.  Before she could worry, it was over.  Brian didn’t even seem to notice it; he was too busy concentrating on the retreating man’s back.  Only when the swing door stopped swinging did he look back at her.

Brian felt like kicking his own backside.  When that man had looked at Sam that way it nearly drove him to pieces; he just hoped she didn’t hear the growl he was unable to stop.  Sighing, he faced her; his wolf under control again.