30- A penny for your thoughts

In the end, the people from Blue Rain pack slept over, and left just after breakfast the next morning.  But before they left, Harris proved that he was a good friend to have.

He had heard that Carter and Derrick would be leaving with the girls until they had finished school.  So technically; they would be joining Jeremy’s pack for that period; and because their marks indicated that they were stronger wolves than Jeremy, he advised Carter and Derrick to state their intentions and pledge their loyalty before it was asked of them.  Firstly, not only would it clear the air and make it known that they would not be challenging for any position, but it would also convey their willingness to assist in any way they could.

And secondly, it would prevent Jeremy and his pack from taking advantage of them by making them take the full four part oath.  It rarely happened that way, but Jeremy had the right to demand that from them.  So if they offered their loyalty first, they could do so on their terms; and for that, the first part of the oath would be sufficient.

The girls were still busy cleaning up after breakfast when Lee and Lucy arrived.  Lee would hear nothing of it, and she and Lucy jumped in and helped to tidy the kitchen.  In the meantime the guys were running a quick perimeter so that they could relax the rest of the day.

Dishes done, the girls all sat down in the living room and got stuck in gossiping about the latest pack scandals.  Not that there were many, and Lee made sure she never said anything discriminating. So when the guys got back from their run, Cassy had no juicy news to share with Alex.

Not that there is usually a lot of scandal in a pack, because there normally are no forbidden relationships.  Mating takes care of that, and if the couple involved are still young, the family members are understanding, and would give plenty advice and guidance to them.  Also, with the keen sense of smell they have, it is normally pretty obvious when someone is lying, so shifters do not make a habit of it.  Actually, it is rather amusing when they know so obviously when a human is lying to them that they hardly take any offence at all.

What Cassy had managed to find out was that there were a rather large number of mature adults in the pack who had not found their mates yet.  A larger number of them compared to some of the other packs Cassy knew about, so that she shared with Alex when he joined them.

[This is something we might have to look at once things are settled.]

He smiled down at her where she was squeezed in between him and Brian.  [Probably because they had not been socializing with the other packs.  Even with the rogue threat hanging over our heads, there had still been some interaction between the packs; but these people have kept themselves out of the loop for about ten years now.  But we will see what we can do.  Perhaps Jeremy could rather send the adult males who have not met their mates instead of the youngsters he had threatened me with.]

Cassy flashed a smile at him.  [That may be a solution.  And helping the mature adults in that aspect is more urgent now than getting a bunch of teenagers their mates.]

[Agreed.  If after the meeting, the pack decide to stay here, I will take that up with Jeremy and some of the other alphas that are closer to us.]

The rest of the day went by so fast that nobody wanted the night to end and Cassy invited Lee and Lucy to stay over, but Lee said that she had things to take care of in the morning, so she and Lucy left, promising that they would visit before the week was over.

During the day Brian had also e-mailed the advertisement through to the local newspapers and the brothers involved in that were eager to see what kind of response they would get.

***

It was the Wednesday before the pack meeting and things were getting a little tense.  Tempers were running a little hotter than normal.  Alex had gone along with the guys for their first two or three appointments, but left them on their own after that.  He said he thought that they would be more than OK, because in most instances, his brothers were more thorough in their assessments than the clients expected.  Liz was taking care of their appointments and their calendar was starting to fill up nicely.  She was also showing Ethan how to take care of it so that he would be able to help Cassy carry on with that when she left.