24 - They are my brothers!

The rest of their day in town went without a hiccup.  Alex dropped Cassy of at the supermarket after explaining that he had to finish up some ‘other’ business.  She took out her list and started at one end worked through to the other end.  She was almost finished when Alex joined her and she noticed that he seemed rather pre-occupied.  Her experience told her not to worry about it.  When men found out what they were worried about, more often than not, they ended up solving it themselves.  If not; he only had to ask.

Walking beside her Alex had never felt so lost before.  He had gone in to the jewelers expecting to get Cassy a ring and to get out.  Plain and simple.  But oh no!  The lady that assisted him with his purchase went absolutely over the top when he said he was looking for a ring for his girl.  While helping him make his selection she demanded to know what he had planned for the special occasion.  When he had stumbled around trying to find the right words she had looked at him with disdain.  And then promptly given him an earful of how every girl dreamed about that special day when her boy would ask her to marry him.

So now he had the ring, but he did not know when and how he was going to give it to her!  Werewolves mated for life darn it; there was no real reason for him to marry her.  A lot of couples did not.  But then again; a lot of them did too.  There was no way that he would be responsible for utterly destroying her idea of a perfect day; he just had to figure out what it was.  He sighed; doing his best to ignore the concerned way Cassy was looking at him.

‘And you know what the funny part is?’ he asked himself; hoping not to get an answer.  The funny thing is; this is the kind of problem he would have asked Cassy to help him with.  And now he can’t; because he has to propose to her!

He sighed again, this time not missing the exasperated way she was shooting glances at him; so he decided not to worry about it with Cassy in the vicinity.  Maybe he could get his brothers to find out from the other girls.  Except that Liz and Tina might also be waiting for that special day!

He groaned at his frustration, and this time when Cassy shot him another glare he could not keep it in any more.

“What?  I am hungry!  Are you done yet?  Then we can go and get a bite to eat quickly, before I starve.”

Cassy stared him down, but decided not to contradict him.  “I will have to start making bigger big breakfasts then, if the normal big breakfasts aren’t doing it for you any more.” 

“You probably should.  I find these days that I am expending a lot more energy at night than I used to before I met this really amazing girl.”  He took a quick sneaky look around and bent towards her, his lips almost touching her ears.  “She keeps me up all night.”  He confided; making her smile and blush right to the tips of her ears.

They finished the shopping, flirting and making all kinds of lewd suggestions to each other.  After paying, they looked around and decided to have a burger and milkshake each.  While waiting for their food, Cassy and Alex were talking about when they thought the pack elders were going to call the meeting, but Alex said that it would not help guessing, in two days they would know for certain.

That left Cassy with one other concern.  “Alex, when you became alpha; was there any kind of ceremony?”

“Ceremony?  For me?  No, why should there have been.  It was only my brothers and me in any case.  Besides, I am not aware of any ceremony that should have taken place.”  A frown worried his face.  “Does that mean I am NOT an alpha?”

“No, you are an alpha; believe me.  There is no doubt.  If there was, the council would have stepped in.  If there is one thing they do not tolerate, it is some one claiming a position that does not belong to them.  They would have intervened, make no mistake there.  You are GREY!”