55- You must be joking!

“Ethan; if you don’t sit down right now I am going to break your legs!”  Cassy shook her head as he only looked at her with a frown and carried right on pacing.  At the rate he was going he would wear the carpet through.  “You know as well as I do that she is doing fine; give her some time with her family, they will be back here soon enough.”

“I know!”  The moment the words left his mouth he knew he had over reacted.  Of course Cassy knew that they were heading back already; the same way he knew.  Hearing her as part of the pack link was an amazing feeling and if he wasn’t wishing he was with her so much; he would be laughing at all the crazy things she was doing; almost as much as Rudi was laughing at her indulgently.  He and his mother were running with her and his brothers and their mates were running just behind them; sort of like an honor guard.

“Sorry Cassy.”  Ethan wrapped her in a hug and hid his face in her shoulder.  “And you don’t have to remind me that I chose to stay behind.”

“Why did you do it?”

In shock Cassy, Sam and Ethan turned to face Grace.  She had never asked such a personal question before and as they continued to stare she blushed.

“I am sorry.  Don’t answer please; it is none of my business anyhow.”

Ethan thought about what she had said and shook his head.  “No; I think I will answer.  It will keep me from loosing my mind completely.  Just tell me first; why do you want to know?”

After hesitating; she gave him the background of how matings took place in her old pack and also what happened as soon as the female shifted for the first time. 

“That is so wrong!”  Sam’s voice rang out when the others were still too shocked to say anything.  “That is definitely not how things are done in our pack!”

At her confused look Cassy took her seat again and started an impromptu lesson on matings for Grace’s benefit.  Grace listened very quietly and to Cassy’s dismay; she seemed to become more and more quiet as she explained.  When she explained how the females react when they find their mates or ‘rediscover’ them the way Lucy did; her mouth was nearly hanging open.  It was clear to everyone in the room that she did not believe that everything was completely true.

It was quiet in the room for a long time after Cassy finished her explaining.  Eventually Grace looked up at Ethan.  “You still have not told me why you let Lucy go off without you.”

“Running off like that in your wolf form for the very first time is a once in a life time experience.  If I had gone with I would have kept her to myself and I would most likely have tried to convince her to come back as soon as possible.  No matter how much I ache to have her with me now; all to myself; I could never do that to her.  She deserves to enjoy her first run; so that she can tell our children and grandchildren about it one day.”

Grace frowned; but accepted his answer; but something still seemed to bugging her.  Cassy waited for her to speak her mind.

“And Conrad …” Grace winced a bit but carried on after swallowing loudly.  “Conrad told you he thinks I am his mate?”

“Oh honey;” Cassy said as she shook her head in sympathy.  “He doesn’t think it; he knows it!”

Cassy looked by helplessly as a devastated Grace cringed inwards.  “Is there no chance that he is wrong?”

“No my dear.  I have; through the pack link felt his emotions regarding you.  You have made him so happy it is unbelievable.”

Grace muttered to herself and of course they all heard; except for Sam naturally.  “I did not mean to do that at all.”