Just Another Love Story: The Observer gave me a gift

“Why are we here?”

        “Just follow me.” Jel ordered, leading ourselves into the escalator going to the third floor.          

        “Seriously Jel, why are we at the mall?” I chided. I had thought, with Jel, I'd never scare myself with these moments. But here I was, being suspisciously dragged to nowhere with the one person I could utterly confide in.

        “I need to get something. I couldn’t find anyone else to accompany me so I dragged you.” She said.

        She literally dragged me. I wondered that Jel was a little different from Dea. Dea was all the euphoric and intense type while Jel was more of the quiet girl. Right, I have forgotten about what happened during my first day at Jel’s house.

        Goaded, I decided to carry along with her elated side and stop chalking in so we could get over this as soon as possible. And I had hoped that it wouldn’t be some surprise and birthday treats… or something alike. For some reason, I've always found myself internally suffocting being in malls. I could only bear as much. 

        We entered the enormous sports house; the two burly sales guys greeted us as we did. I bet their smiles had been taped to their faces already, for not having to put effort in smiling to strangers forcibly. I refused to be swamp with unnecessary pity.

        Jel had gone her way through the huge sports house and I couldn’t find her given the laziness that was eating me up after the rough day. I’ve been moving with utmost care to avoid accidentally hitting and breaking something. Though most of the things here were basketball, badminton rackets, and gym equipments, still it would be extremely embarrassing to dodge something and make it fall. Fortunately, Jel had come back before I accidentally hit something.

        “I’ve come bearing gifts.” She said, heading out of the sports house. I followed her, my face had twitched to one that said horrified in every way.

        “Uh, okay. What is that?”

        “My congratulatory gift.” She shrugged. “Congratulations for making it in to the swimming team.”

        I was terrified. “You—you shouldn’t have. I have mine. And I told you, I was in the team back home, it was barely exercise for me.”

        “Please accept it. I’m extremely glad I could give you something like this.” She said, pushing the small paper bag into my hand. I didn’t bulge. I mentioned a while ago that she was the silent type? I forgot to mention that she also looked like the type who wouldn’t take no for an answer—so I was left with no other choice than to accept it.

        “Thank you. I—it's really a lot.”

        She smiled. “It’s color black. I knew you aren’t the girly type so I bet you didn’t like pink.”

        I chuckled. How I wanted to hug her right now. “I never liked pink.”

        “Just what I thought.” She said, a proud smug on her face. “So how was your day?”

        “Just the usual.” Infuriating; That's what I wanted to say. Everyday seemed to be infuriating all because of the diabolic acts of that evil Mr. Ross.

        Then her eyes lit; full of puzzlement and uncertainty. With the time we’ve spent together this past month, I knew her. She definitely wanted to know something from me but was just too afraid to open up.

        “What is it Jel? Ask away.” I muttered.

        She groaned. “You know me too well.”