Chapter 5: Shadows (Fae's POV)

The room was dark. No, it  wasn't a room, it was, a space...just a place. My body was laying there, on a dark, foggy ground. The only thing I heard was a faint cry of music, though I couldn't tell what it really was... there was piano...and...harp? There were some voices, but I couldn't tell what they were saying. I lifted myself up of the ground. Through the dark mist I saw something... a person...or was  it? It was just..a shadow. I walked closer to it. Suddenly it started to move, slowly, gracefully, almost floating. I followed behind the shadow. Everything started changing, the dark fog turned into dark, looming trees. The shadow started moving faster. It turned and looked at me. I stopped.

"What do you want?!" I yelled. The shadow suddenly darted through the forest. I ran and tried to catch up to it. The trees sped by me, I couldn't see where I was going. The shadow stopped. I ran to it and tried to grab it. It vanished and I couldn't stop in time. My foot hit the edge of the cliff and I fell towards a black abyss. I tried to scream, but nothing came out of my mouth. I tried to fly but I had no wings. I tried to make it all stop, and everything slowly faded to black.

I awoke in my bed back in Heaven. What was that? What did the dream mean? Was it a dream...or was it something else?

I took a deep breathe and walked slowly to my balcony. It was windy, almost cold. I looked out over the vast space. It was still night, but there was still enough light that I could make out buildings. I jumped off the balcony and fell through the sky. as I neared the ground I threw out my wings and started to soar. I flew higher into the sky and closed my eyes. I always did this when I needed to think.

I had been a guardian angel for centuries. I had saved people. I watched over them. I protected them. But people were getting greedy, selfish, hateful. They were sinful. More people were being thrown into Hell. Lucifer was happy. He was tormenting the minds of the young, and causing them to do bad deeds. God was trying to get people to see the truth and obey his word, but they took the easy way out. It made me angry. The demons were starting to take more control over the people on Earth. Even Youkai, who I thought in my heart was better than most of the other demons, still stained and killed the souls on the land between us.

My face grew red.  I needed to control myself. I opened my eyes and darted through the sky to the Guardian District. My feet hit the ground hard, but I didn't care. I ran through the large bronze doors into the huge building where God normally was. I didn't bother with the elevator, the stairs would be quicker. I was running so fast I was practically flying at the same time. Once I reached the top floor I ran through the halls until I got to the longest hallway. At the end of it was another large bronze door. The tile changed to a clean marble. I slowed down my pace. I took a deep breathe and pushed open the door.

The room was still filled with clouds looming at the bottom of the ground. God was placed behind his grand desk once more. His eyes looked tired but comforting. "Hello Fae. Back already?" He tilted his head a small bit. "You have something to tell me... and since I don't know what it is I assume it doesn't have to do with Earth or Heaven.

I nodded my head slowly. "Yes, it does." My voice was low, and I tried to keep calm. "During my visit, I discovered a very important piece of information." I took a deep breathe.

"Go on." He said slowly, spinning the globe.

"They're having," I replayed what Youkai told me in the Luxor Hotel. "a ball. And I'm invited."

"You're invited?" God raised and eyebrow.

"Not by him, but by someone else."

God slowly nodded. "And you think, that this ball, would be a good time to collect information?"

I nodded my head.

"Very well. And how are you going to pull this off? You don't exactly look like a demon."

"I figure we can do something to pull it off." I smiled. "So it's settled then. I'm going to Hell."

- - -

I unlocked my apartment and turned on a light in my closet. Youkai and I had shopped for a dress in Las Vegas only hours before. It had taken us a long time to find a good dress for hell, but we finally found some in a small shop tucked behind an ally. She had picked me out a dress that, in her words, "Looked as dark and sexy as possible." The dress went all the way to the floor.. The bottom had dark red dots and deep black surrounded by a long piece of see-through material that made it possible to see the dot pattern. On the waist was a black corset with silky black lace. The chest was a dark red piece that looked like the top of a heart. Surrounding the edge of the heart shape was black. My sleeves were short with the same material that laid on top of the dot pattern for my legs.

I took a shower and wrapped my hair up into a towel. While it was drying, I sat down in front a large vanity and started my make-up. I powdered my face and applied a dark red-purple lipstick. I surrounded my eyes with eyeliner and smudged it. I added deep purple eyeshadow. I did more touch ups and put the dress on. I straightened my light blond hair and made it so my bangs hung half-way down my eyes. I hooked a piece of black jewelry on my neck. It was lots of black wire that crossed with other pieces and formed a shape that looked like an upside down triangle. Finally I slipped on a pair of black stilettos. The piece between the heel and the stiletto piece was a green hand that cupped my heel. It looked like a zombie hand, which made me smile. I put on a pair of skull ear-rings and a matching ring. I attached a bracelet that looked like a spider web to my lower arm, and admired myself in the mirror. I needed one more thing though.

I decided to walk the streets of Heave in my new get-up. As soon as I stepped out of my apartment building other angels started to stare. One women even dropped all the things she was carrying. As I walked I heard gasped and and whisper to others beside them.

"I always loved Halloweens on Earth." I smiled at God and Angela who were talking on God's office. Angela almost dropped more files, but God quickly grabbed them and placed them on his desk. "I need one more thing." I said. 

God nodded. With a snap of his fingers my angel wings dissapeared and in their place was a pair of black wings. They looked like a mix of bat wings and angel wings. I had to admit, I looked....hot. Jesus amirged from the door and quickly stopped. I turned around and walked towards the door. "Wish me luck J.C.!" I smiled and walked through the door. I heard him cough, and then the door closed.

- - -

I met Youkai again at the Luxor Hotel. As I waited I received a few admiring glances from guys, and a few women.

"Hello Fae." Youkai said while carrying a drink in her hand.