11

There's no one there. It's eerily silent but I hear footsteps a few metres down the hall. Zombie and Dumbo are talking, Nugget is still whimpering.

'Guy will you shut up? Listen!' I whisper shout and the conversation ceases. They here it too.

'We are so going to thrash 53, seriously they never stood a chance against us!' I hear a taunting, low voice.

'Yeah, I hear that new girls got an attitude.' A higher voice says, a girl. 'And, that Zombie kid is quite hot.'

Anger starts boiling in me, a warm feeling spreads from my stomach to my face. She can shut up about me and Zombie. Suddenly, Dumbo places a hand on my shoulder and shakes his head.

'There coming this way. Get down.' Zombie says. I follow his instructions and hide down the side of the double bed that's nearly placed in the middle of the room.

I guess this was supposed to be a bedroom.

We sit in silence and suddenly it goes deadly quiet. The conversation stops and so do the footsteps. I sit there shoved in between Dumbo and Zombie, sweating like hell.

I can literally hear my own heart beating inside my head, it feels as if it's actually going to burst out my chest and land in my lap.

'Hey Zombie look what I found!' Says Nugget holding out a Spider-Man figure he pulled from under the bed.

'No oh shit Nugget! That's a trap. Go! Go! Go!' Zombie yells at us and I shove Nugget in front of me.

Attached to the action figure was a thin copper wire, that I found out was attached to a bomb because when I'm just two steps away from the door the whole bed explodes and is engulfed in flames. I shove Nugget out the door with Dumbo just before I trip up.

Zombie throws himself on top of me to stop me getting the full blast of bomb.

To be honest, Ben throwing himself at me used to be something I would dream about but I didn't really imagine it would be in an explosion. But hey, why am I complaining?

I feel the heat of the fire wear off a little and I turn my head to get a full view of the bed that is now in flames. As I turn Zombie shoves himself up and off me. I stand and run out the door followed by Zombie.

I guess the explosion shocked the soldiers from Squad 24 because when we erupt from the room they're just standing there dumbfounded. That gives us vital seconds to catch up with Dumbo and Nugget who are halfway down the corridor.

Both their lights are out. 24 got them but still they stay with us, there's no point in them leaving now. We're so close.

I sprint down the corridor to get to them, Zombie in tow. As we run Squad 24 opens fire and I dodge around the end of the corridor. I turn back around and fire straight at our opponents, just missing them.

Dumbo and Nugget can't help because once you're out, your gun is out of action for the rest of the game.

But Zombie can.

He shoots the girl in the head, she screams in exasperation and I can't help but laugh, she was just shot by the guy she called hot a few minutes ago.