02

The first wave took our power, the second destroyed our costal cities and the third wave wiped out almost all of us that we're left.

But the fourth was the worst.

You can't trust that people are still people.

The Others found a way inside our heads.

Another reason as to why I left. You can't trust anyone.

I guess the Others really know what they're doing. How do you rid the Earth of humans?

Rid the humans of their humanity.

Make them vulnerable, on edge and most of all, make them lonely. Make them wonder if they're the last human on Earth.

I wonder that often, if I'm the last human on Earth. Right now as I packup my tent as I prepare to trek to the highway that's one of the many thoughts circulating my brain and driving me crazy.

Why the highway you ask?

Well before I left town, I heard of an army base, Wright-Patterson, a few hundred miles down the road. Apparently they're taking in people. Like a sort of refuge. So that's where I've decided I'm heading. It's my best chance of survival.

I trudge through the thick covering of leaves on the forest floor, I cringe every time I make a noise that might be too loud.

Too loud that the Silencers can hear.

Silencers are the fourth wave. An Other in disguise. There's some in this area, I heard gunshots last night while I was huddled up in my tent, too scared to even poke my head out of my sleeping bag.

I only had time to grab a knife before I left and to protect myself with that I'd have to be in close vicinity to the person I wanted to wound and I didn't really want to be up close and personal with an alien.

The gunshots ruin my last theory of my being the last human on Earth, because what else would they shooting at?

The cries that followed the gunshots reminded me of the ones from my brother and father as the lay, covered in they're own blood, throwing it up, crying it and trying to get me to to believe that they would be okay.

I knew differently.

The cries sounded like the ones that came from them as their bodies gave up. There was a heart-wrenching scream. Then nothing. They were gone. I was doubled over in pain, crying my heart out at the two bloody corpses, wishing they would wake up.

---

A twig snapping brings me back from my well, rather depressing thoughts.

'Shit.' I say under my breath. I turn in a full circle and then again. I can't see anything.

I turn away and that's when I hear the sound of a gun. I feel the bullets whizzing past my ears and I run.

I run faster than I can ever remember running before. I wasn't on the track team at school, I don't like the attention.

As I run I instinctively pull my hood up.

Yeah Dylan, like that's going to protect you from a hundred-mile-an-hour bullet.

I run zig-zagging through trees and jumping over roots. Hoping to confuse my pursuer.

I'd been so careful today because I knew they were in the area. I took every precaution I thought was possible and they still found me. Now I know they're definitely not human.

Bullets bounce off the ground and the trees and I'm being careful avoid the ones rebounding back off the tree trunks. They almost graze my head multiple times and every time I have to bite my lip hard to stop from screaming.

I can't feel my legs anymore. But what I can feel is the overwhelming, searing, burning feeling in my chest, like my lungs are going to pop out of it.

Obviously, the smart idea of stopping for a rest doesn't appeal to a Silencer and the gunshots just keep coming. I can hear their heavy footfalls crunching in the dead autumn leaves, they can't be that far behind.

I pick up my pace and the next thing I know I'm rolling over and over down a small incline. When I stop tumbling I put a hand to my forehead in an attempt to get it to stop the hypothetical spinning.

When I pull my hand away from my head I see through blurred vision it's covered in blood. Blood that is now pouring down my forehead and into my eye, blocking my vision entirely.

Oh god. This is it. I'm sorry humanity. You're going to make your last stand huddled under an oak tree.

But I can't let that happen. I am not going down without a fight. The footsteps are coming ever closer, they can't be more than a few metres away now. But I'm not going out like this so I stand and swipe the blood away from my eye. It's pouring down my face and it enters my mouth filling it with a metallic taste. This is what having the plague must have felt like.

I stand just as the gunshots begin again. I can't breathe properly, I can't see, I'm in serious danger of blacking out. I stumble aimlessly with my arms out in front of me to stop myself from getting a faceful of tree.

Then I'm stopped by the feeling of a bullet grazing the flesh of my left thigh. I fall to the ground and pointlessly wipe the blood from my forehead again as I try to push myself up again again, a last ditch attempt, but my arms give way under me and I tumble again. Eventually I stop and lie, sprawled out on the ground, waiting for the world to stop spinning.

Heeeeeyy there's Chapter 2!
Did you like it? Did you like it?!
Okay imagine me singing that ^

Actually please don't...

I had a request to make my chapters longer and because these are prewritten I can edit them anymore but they get longer later on in the story :)

I went back to school this week, ew.
Oh and I had ballet today which was great because I know I am so bad compared to everyone else.

OH OH AND SOMEONE TOLD ME THEY LIKE ME TODAY BUT I ONLY JUST GOT OVER MY CRUSH OF 3 YEARS ABOUT 2 WEEKS AGO SO I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO? DO YOU HAVE ANY ADVICE? HE'S CUTE BUT IM NOT SURE IF I ACTUALLY LIKE HIM.

I hope you enjoyed it!
Vote if you enjoyed and leave your feedback!! It really helps :)

Love,
- Jasmine
xx

Instagram&Twitter: @teenhungermaze
Tumblr: thefeelswillbethedeathofme