10

'Sir, yes sir!' The words leave my lips and my voice joins the chorus of my squad.

'It's Squad 53 versus Squad 24. First to find the flag wins!' Reznik shouts. 'Now move your asses!'

And we do.

Squad 24 disappear off inside the house that is in front of us that no doubt contains the the flag we are supposed to collect.

Ringer motions for our squad to follow her as she crouches just outside the house.

'We need a plan of attack.' She says looking round at each of us one at a time.

'I agree. Anyone have any ideas?' Zombie asks taking over from Ringer, after all he is squad leader.

'We need some people on offence and defence. I say we split.' Oompa offers.

'Good idea. Oompa, Flint, Teacup and Poundcake with me. Everyone else with Zombie got it? My team will take defence.' Ringer says and runs into the house followed by the three she's claimed as team mates. She's picked the right people. Her and Poundcake are the squad's best shooters and we need them on defence.

That leaves me, Nugget, Dumbo and Zombie.

'Right team, let's move out.' Zombie says. I have to admire his confidence but after Oompa telling me Squad 53's track record of team training exercises I know we're going to lose.

I feel a small hand grab hold of mine and I know it's Nugget. He must be scared as hell because I know I am. Not that this is very scary. Reznik told us it's like a huge game of laser tag. Each person has a 'gun' and everyone wears a helmet and protective vest. There are sensors on those and if you're hit in one of them you're out. At least one soldier from your team has to reach the flag and exit the house untouched.

The building is quiet, the only sound I can here is my shallow breathing and everyone's footsteps. Zombie puts his hand up motioning for us to stop. We've reached a door.

He turns to us, his face shadowed by his helmet. So much so that I can only see his features as dark splotches on his face.

'On my count,' He says nodding towards the door. I tighten my grip on my gun with sweaty hands. 'One. Two. Three.'

He throws himself into the door and the rest of us follow. The small amount of light that comes from the broken window is enough to show me what the room was hiding, two members of the opposing squad.

Dumbo runs to the left, cornering one of the guys near a wardrobe and firing his laser at him. The light on the guys helmet goes out, signalling he's out of the game but not before he sends a last few shots in my direction.

I duck and crawl to behind a table leg, panting. Luckily he didn't hit me. There's a sound of another struggle and a defeated 'really?' Before Zombie shouts:

'Clear!' And I stand.

I creep to the door behind Dumbo, Nugget still holding onto me for dear life.

As the four of us reach the door the sound of the wardrobe door opening makes us all turn back around. Out of it jump two more Squad 24 members.

I shove Nugget into the corner and take aim at one of them who seems to not have noticed I'm here. The both of them are focussing their fire of Dumbo and Zombie who are both hidden behind the same table I was a few minutes before.

I remember what Ringer said and I take aim at the nearest boy. I pull the trigger of my laser gun and to my joy this type of gun doesn't jolt back and leave bruises on my shoulder.

The sound of the laser makes the boy turn to face me. I missed him because the lights on his vest are still on. He returns my fire and I duck with my hands over my head. Then I shuffle round and take aim again from my position on the hard, stone floor.

This time I hit the sensor right in the middle of his chest and the light flickers out. I hear a defeated sigh and see that both of the boys are no longer illuminated. They're out.

That's already half of Squad 24 gone and I actually shot one.

Zombie and Dumbo walk over to me and Nugget. We walk to the door and before we leave I say:

'Now Zombie are you 100% sure that it's clear?'

That earns a laugh from Dumbo who's quickly silenced by Zombie giving him a death stare.

'Yes, Switchblade, I'm 100% sure.' He says and stalks off downs corridor to the right. I have no choice but to follow him.

Post-apocalyptic Ben Parish annoys me. One minute he's smiling like a mother-fricking angel and the next he's on his man period.

Nugget tugs my sleeve.

'I'm scared..' He whimpers and I squeeze his hand.

'I'm scared too Nugget but it looks like we're winning and that's a good thing!' I whisper looking down at him.

He whimpers again and nods, like he believes me. Poor kid.

Before all this he must have had nothing to worry about. Neither did I really. Before these stupid aliens came, my only problems were Ben Parish and... Well.. Ben Parish.

A creaking floor bored snaps my attention away from my thoughts and I almost walk straight into Dumbo who's stopped right in front of me. Zombie again has his hand in the air and a finger to his lips.

We're at the end of the corridor and to our left, I can hear hushed conversations.

'Right, again on my count we're gonna get them okay?' Zombie tells us again.

'One.'

'Two.'

'Three'

Ahh sorry this is so late!!! I completely forgot! Anyways hope you like ittttt!

Love,
- Jasmine
xx