Chapter Thirty-Six: Well I Was Not Expecting That...

"I'm sorry Darling."

"Don't be, it's not your fault."

"I don't care, your mom shouldn't do that to you."

"I'm fine," No I wasn't. Though at least the crying had stopped.

"Bull shit, look at yourself." He placed a hand on my shoulder, "You're falling apart being with them. They treat you like shit and they don't let you do anything. They force you to go places that you don't want to go to and you miserable all the time around them," He got up and I watch him pull his phone out of his black sweatpants.

"Who are you calling?"

"Dalton, maybe he'll finally answer."

"But he has work." I didn't want him to quit work for the day because of me. He needs to get his things done otherwise he'll be behind. Charlie didn't listen to me as he called Dalton and sure enough he didn't answer. I knew that because Charlie threw his phone onto the other couch.

"Damn," He growled before grabbing his phone again. He called again, his chest was moving up and down fast, his face didn't look happy, his fists clenched, and he paced around the room with loud steps. He wasn't happy and his voice showed that as he talked into the phone. "Dalton, you better answer me. Darling's at my house. Shit went on with her mother and now she's a wreak. You better call me or I'm going to have your behind sitting on top of my fireplace the next time I see you!" He tossed his phone on the couch.

"Are you okay?" I asked. Why was he being like this? Why was he so mad over what happened with my mother and I? I wasn't even crying anymore, I've done enough of that, but I was still upset and hurt over it. My mother never understood the amount of damage she has done to me. With the lack of attention, forcing, ordering, and now the insults. It's already bad enough getting all of that from Peaches because she treats me like nothing and my mother did the same things besides the insults. Now, it's like there are two Peaches living in the house.

"No, because if he doesn't come over or answer my damn calls—" He stopped himself short. He growled in frustration before leaving the room, mumbling that he needed a drink. I was confused on the way that Charlie was acting. I liked that he was here because, at least, I knew I wasn't alone but with the way that he was acting was making me feel like I was in my own bubble and he was trying to stay as far as away from me as possible. Why was he keeping his distance?

I remembered that day when he came to find me at the TV station. He held me close until I was alright again. He called Dalton for me because I didn't have my phone. I was okay afterwards because I had somewhere to go. Then that day when he came to get me. He acted like my boyfriend and left Peaches speechless. That day was memorable because he made my sister mad and it made me feel special during that moment. He cared for me in both of those situations, but now, he was pissy and keeping a distance. I didn't like it.

Why was Charlie being this way?

I got up from the comfy couch, placing the blanket to the side, and when to go find Charlie. It wasn't hard because he was in the next room. The kitchen was simple with dark wooden counters, white cabinets, and black and white tiling. Charlie stood near the sink with a glass of water in his hand. He looked calm before noticing me.

"Go sit down Darling," His calm voice was back from earlier. "I need to think."

"I don't want to," I mumbled. His eyes turned but not his head as he glared at me, I watched as the glass was lifted to his lips and he took a sip.

"Now," His voice had an edge to it. It made me fidget at the sound but I didn't want to leave the room. I wanted to know what was going on with him. He wasn't being himself like he always was when he would be around me. "Darling, please." His voice softened.

"What's going on with you?" I said it before I could think otherwise. I saw his arms tense along with his back. His eyes didn't look towards me but instead looked straight ahead, towards the fridge. "You're not being yourself," It came out in a whisper.

"I can't," He answered.

"Why?" I didn't realize that I had said that. It just came out of my lips and I could see that that brought Charlie near the edge because he threw the glass across the room. I jumped as it shattered into a million pieces against the fridge. Water dripped down it as Charlie let out a growl of frustration.

"Why?!" He shouted. I backed away from him instinctively, "I have my damn reasons for keeping my distance! I shouldn't be like I am towards you!"

"What are you talking about?" It came out in a murmur. Did he think that it was weird that we were so close because I was with Dalton? I stared confused at the man and he seem to relax after noticing my expression. What is up with him?

"You really didn't notice that signs?" His voice calmed.

I shook my head, confused still.

"Darling, I love you."

eae%25J