Chapter Twenty-Two: Who Needs A Phone When You Have An Over-Protective Friend...

I wanted to scream. I wanted to cry. I wanted to kick and punch and shout at her. I paid for that phone and I paid the bills for it every month! What makes her think that she can take it away from me like she owned the damn thing!?

Dalton. How am I supposed to contact him now? What if he calls or texts my phone? What if my mother looks to see who it is and see the name on the screen? What if she puts the puzzle together? What would happen to me? I know I will be grounded but it was going to be worse than that.

I forced myself not to cry as I rushed to the bathroom to finish getting ready. I was downstairs in less than three minutes. My mother was in the kitchen and I watched as she locked my phone in the little safe that she kept under the sink. I bit my lip and dug my fingers into the palms of my hands to keep from freaking out and crying. If I caused a scene then everything would just get worse. My mother didn't look as me as she told me to get into the car. So being the good little shadow I was to them, I just nodded my head, and went to the car outside.

The car ride to the place Peaches was needed was a good hour and a half away from home. I sat in the back of the car with my hands on my lap and didn't speak a word. Peaches talked to a friend happily on her phone and my mother was doing a business call about Peaches on her phone. Then there was me...Sitting there like a statue.

I wanted to scream.

I hated it when they dragged me along to these things. I always kept quiet because I know if I were to say the wrong thing then something was going to happen. I remember the first time I spoke about being bored and that this was stupid many years ago. Peaches was just starting off and she was called to be on a talk show as a guest. When I spoke those words my mother pulled me to the side and yelled at me. She told me that I should be proud of my sister and should not complain about anything. My frighten little mind was scarred. So after that, I never spoke my mind. I stood to the side and kept all my thoughts to myself. I only spoke if needed.

How could my mother be like this?

We pulled into the parking lot for talk show that Peaches has been a dozen times: Good Afternoon with Amina. She was a young lady in her last thirties who talked mostly about celebrity gossip, the latest scandals, and inside lives of the famous. She was probably the one I hated the most out of almost all the TV shows that Peaches has been on. She always was on Peaches side about everything. If Peaches said something then she thought the same thing. She was in love with the girl.

We were early, really early...which meant that I was going to be sitting in a dressing room with Peaches and my mother for several hours until Peaches is ready to go on for the show. Ugh, you do not know how annoying and boring this is going to be. Especially since I don't have my phone anymore.

So that's how it went. Once we entered the building, we were escorted to a rather large dressing room that had a TV, couches, a table full of food, extra outfits, and a huge counter full of make-up that Peaches used happily to look picture perfect for the camera. My mother helped her get ready while also touching up and playing around with the make-up. I listened as they laughed and giggled at each other while trying stuff on. I sat down in a couch far away from them and stared at the blank TV screen. I didn't want to turn it on in case I would get yelled at. I usually did. So I just sat there 'politely' and kept my eyes on the floor. If anyone were to walk into the room and didn't know me, they would probably think that I worked for Peaches and would get anything that she would need.

It felt like forever because I had nothing to do. Peaches and my mother left the dressing room to go meet up with Amina before the show like they always did. They would sit on the set and have coffee and treats with other guests that were on the show. I was always left behind in the dressing room. Because they were gone, I laid down on the couch, and gazed at the popcorn ceiling. The smell from the table of food made it to my nose and I heard my stomach growl. As much as I would like to get up to get something to eat, I just didn't want to. After the whole thing with my mother at home...I just didn't want to eat right now.

I know that sounds stupid.

I closed my eyes and decided that I would get a little rest before my mother came back and forced me to watch from the sidelines of the set while Peaches was on TV. I relaxed in the comfy couch and listened to my heartbeat slow down.

Though, just my luck, the door slammed open. What the hell do they want now?!

"Oh thank God," A familiar voice relaxed. My eyes shot opened, "Thanks Larry, I owe you one."

"Anything for the man who helped me fix my golf cart," An old man laughed. I sat up from the couch and watched as Charlie shook hands with the old man, Larry, who was dressed in a security guard outfit. My heart jumped with joy to see Charlie at least. He seem to keep his face hidden. He wore his usual dark jean, tan work boots, a tight black shirt that outlined his muscles, and then a dark grey jacket with the hood up and the sleeves rolled up to his elbows. He completed the look with black sunglasses. He pulled off the outfit incredibly well and I knew that Jasmin had at least help him with his wardrobe.

"Charlie," I was smiling as I got up from the couch. Larry left as Charlie closed the door and then he sat his sunglasses on his head. I walked over to him. He suddenly engulfed me into a hug and I laughed a little as he spun me around like he hasn't seen me in forever.

"Oh Darling, I haven't seen you in a while!"

I laughed, "I saw you a couple days ago." He shrugged while letting me go to give me space, then his attitude changed.

"Dalton was freaking out when I got a call from him this morning...why are you not answering his calls?" He got serious suddenly.

"I got my phone taken away," I explained. "My mother took it after she found me in my room talking to Dalton and not getting ready for Peaches's TV show appearance."

"Are you shitting me?" Charlie wasn't happy and I shook my head to his question. "That's stupid, don't you pay for that phone?"

"Yeah," I mumbled.

"Then why didn't you argue?! I have Dalton at home freaking out! He can't go anywhere without being caught by some van when he pulls out of his driveway. I had to go to your house to find that you were not there then you weren't at work. Be lucky that Jasmin likes this show and I'm buddy-buddy with good ol' Larry, otherwise I wouldn't know where the hell you were at!"

"I'm sorry," I started to get upset. He relaxed when he saw my mood and pulled me into a comforting hug. He rested his chin on top of my head while I buried my face in his jacket. "I'm forced to go to these things. My mother makes me do it so that she can throw it in my face."

"Hey, calm down. I didn't mean to burst. We were just worried for you. Dalton was scared that your mother hurt you."

"She may be mean, but she has never physically hurt me." I mumbled into his jacket. He reached into his back pocket and pulled out his phone. I heard him clicking on in while relaxing into him. It didn't feel that weird to be so close to Charlie and have his arm around me. I've always been hanging out with him when I was Dalton a lot of the time. There has only been a couple days where it was only Dalton and I.

I was so used to him being around and having an arm around me. He was kind of like a protective best friend and it was enjoyable knowing that I had him in case of a problem. He was always there if something were to happen and Dalton couldn't make it. It must be because he's Dalton's body guard that this dominance, strength, power, and authority radiates off of him. If I didn't know him, I would be scared to even see him. Though after getting to know him...it's comforting.

I'm so happy that Dalton has Charlie as a friend.