Chapter 43

Three years later

"Jacob, no running in the kitchen!" I scolded the little black haired boy. He pouted but nodded understanding.

"Yes, Luna. Sorry, Luna." He hugged my leg before running off, probably to find his mother. The fireplace in the living room cackled with warmth as snow trickled down outside. We had set up a Christmas tree in the corner a week ago, with beautiful twinkling lights and ornaments. My family came over to help and play some games; Tori, being eight years old now, was the smartest witch for her age and even gave Frankie a run for his money while she always knows the answers to the games.

With a smile on my face, I set the cookie tray I was holding down onto the counter. Star walked in, smirking as she saw me and sat down. "Little miss Luna, are chocolate chip cookies the only cookies you know how to make?"

"I know how to make a lot of things, but these will always be my favorite." I laughed along with my best friend, who stopped and sniffed at the air. I froze, Was I caught?

"That scent..." Star looked from the cookies and back to me. I covered my nervousness with a fake smile, picked up a cookie, and tried handing it to her. She wasn't buying it. "Thanks..." she said unsurely. Please think it's the cookies. Please think it's the cookies. "I don't know. The cookies smell different, I guess." I mentally sighed in relief. I was so grateful that she dropped the subject and didn't push it further, but you know, life isn't always on my side. She sniffed the air again, narrowing her eyes on me. "No! It's definitely not the cookies though!" I shrugged and turned to face the oven, checking on the other batch of cookies that was still baking. "I know your scent is different because you finished the mate-process, and I know it's not the cookies. It's like..." She got off the stool and came towards me slowly. "It's coming from you. It's your scent, but there's something else there. Something-" She froze with wide eyes. I froze with a grimace. It was great, fantastic, swell. Really. It was a great big Frozen Party. Let it goooo, let it goooo!

She stared at me with tears in her eyes, a smile slowly growing on her face. Her mouth opened and closed like she wanted to say something but couldn't spit it out. Her bottom lip quivered, making me flinch, waiting for her to explode in tears. Just as she finally started to form noises, Logan walked in. I glared at her in a secretive warning as my mate hugged me from behind. "Hi," he whispered in my ear. He then looked up at Star, "Star, may I ask why you're looking at her like that?"

"Who me?" She asked stupefied, tears running down her cheeks and sobs racking her body. "I'm looking at her the way I've always looked at her." Wait... is she quoting The Parent Trap?

"Then why are you crying?" Logan asked, amusedly raising an eyebrow.

She wiped her tears and sniffled, "I- uh, I just love this cookie so much." She held up the cookie she was eating and began to sob again. "It's such a beautiful cookie. I'm so proud of this cookie. It's such an amazing cookie- and I'm happy for it, I- I am just so happy about this cookie." It was obvious that she wasn't talking about the cookie anymore... to me anyways.

Before she could say anything else, I grabbed Logan by the hand and tugged him towards the living room. I plopped down on the couch while he went over to stand by the fire. "So what was that all about?" He chuckled.

"She had way too much sugar," I laughed it off. "So how was your day? I heard from a big-mouthed birdie that you've been working hard on plans for months."