1:TheCharm

• Dedicated to 'Blood and Chocolate' by Annette Curtis Klause

Mara fingered her nose ring more out of nervousness than anything else. College, it seemed, had more cons than perks and she was about ready to hang it all up and quit school for good.

What am I doing here anyway?

The four walls that held her in at that moment represented a white prison to her then. She wanted nothing more than to leave that damned room and hurry into the world just outside. The flowers, the scent, the feel of nature beckoned to her, demanded of her, enticed her. Mara shook in her seat as she held her #2 pencil right above the scantron. Her eyes darted to the test next to it and she scowled.

History, she deemed, was an unnecessary subject.

It was all just a bunch of overdramatized facts meant to enforce and not educate people. The Salem Witch Trials, did not interest her at all.

Witches weren't her cup of tea.

She smirked to herself at the thought of actually meeting a witch and bubbled in the first answer that sounded right to her. She knew she would pay later if the answer was wrong, she was sure that her Aunt Clarisse would chide her for yet another bad grade. But she was the student, Clarisse wasn't.

Thirty minutes into the test she completed it with a smile, a sense of satisfaction at having been one of the first to finish before the hour was up. She gathered her satchel bag, soft beige material with studded pink flowers and half-moons all over it, along with her scantron and test and made her way to the front.

The professor, a woman of spinster age and golden looks took her test with a grimace, more to herself than to Mara. Mara, smiled anyway and muttered a quick, "Thank you," before setting off outside.

The moment she stepped outside the A&H building she noted the change it weather. It had dramatically changed from a bright and sunny day to thunderous clouds and a thin spray of rain.

Thankfully she wasn't afraid of water in the least bit, it was her satchel bag that she was more afraid of. She could easily dry off with a towel, but those documents; her poetry and school work could not be so easily dried.

"Mara!" She looked around until she found the owner of the voice and smiled.

Andrea, her close friend waved to her from across the courtyard, she picked up her pace until she was nearly running and stopped right in front of her, "Hey, good to see you're not dead yet."

"Rafe hasn't annoyed me to death yet," she laughed.

Mara simply nodded and followed her lead as she made her way past the courtyard and student center to her car parked a few feet away from the trees lining the campus. Mara was thankful that she'd spotted her, now she could salvage her work and make sure it was dry by the time she got home

On the car ride back Andrea teased her, "Alec asked about you." She wriggled her too thin eyebrows and pursed her pale lips.

Mara chuckled, A harsh one at that as she combed her thin fingers through her still wet, course and curly hair, "Alec is pathetic."

"You shouldn't be so picky," Andre warned, running her fingers through her own long red hair, "he's perfect for you."

Mara shrugged and looked out the window as they passed by the miles and miles of trees and forest land that outlined their complex. She didn't think he was perfect for her, in fact she thought he was the worst guy imaginable for her. She could care less of his relationship to the alpha, she simply didn't like his personality. For one he was too course, and vile. Most of the things he said to her were of a sexual nature and though she wasn't necessarily innocent she was still a virgin by every meaning of the word. He had no way to talk to her like that, Cousin of the Alpha or not.