Chapter 28

HARRY’S P.O.V.

Louis and I sit in Jason’s office, waiting for him to show up. I tap my foot on the floor nervously until Louis rests his hand on my knee, calming me immediately.

“Hazz, what are you nervous about? It’s gonna be fine.”

“I don’t know. I’m just afraid he’s gonna change his mind.”

“Even so, the worse that can happen is it goes back to how it was.”

I force a grin and finally look into Louis’ eyes. He looks anxious too; he’s just better at hiding it.

“I guess so. I just want things to be how they should be.”

“Well, that’s not gonna happen until our contract’s up. You know that.”

I sigh. I do know that. I think about it all the time. However, I can’t help but to fear that prospect at the same time. I want to be with Louis more than anything. I would rather die than to live a life without him. I just can’t stop wondering how people will react. Louis is fearless. I admire his courage so much. I really do have to admit to myself that it’s really just my dad holding me back. I know we aren’t the closest of people, but I still look up to him in a weird way and he doesn’t know about any of this. I know I need to tell him. My mum says he’ll support me, but I’m skeptical. The thing is, when I ask myself if I’d rather lose Louis than face my father, the answer is obvious. The opening of the door snaps me away from my thoughts. Louis squeezes my knee as Jason appears in front of us, walking behind his desk with a cup of coffee.

“Hello, boys. How are my favorite closeted gays?”

Louis scoffs. I really hate Jason.

“Can we skip the pleasantries, Jason? Or un-pleasantries in your case?”

“Oh, wow. Harry, I don’t know if you’re in the position to call the shots.”

He grins widely. He’s too happy. His mood is too light. This is what I feared.

“Get on with it.”

Louis pulls his hand back from my leg and rests it on his armrest, his leg shaking restlessly now.

“I’d like to show you guys something I gathered from the security office.”

What?

“I think you’ll find this interesting.”

He turns his computer screen towards us and turns the volume up to a deafening level. It’s the camera in the lift. The picture is fuzzy, but you can clearly see Cara and I walk through the open doors. Static consumes the speakers, until the doors shut. My mind races, trying to remember what Cara and I said in the elevator yesterday. I don’t remember. Then, it hits me, but it’s too late.

“I’m nervous-“

“Shhh. Me too. I just hope he doesn’t realize it’s fake.”

Shit. I see the two of us standing there, laughing nervously as we wait to reach Jason’s office.

“Here goes nothing.”

Fuck. Louis looks at me and then we turn our gaze to Jason, who is sitting proudly with his arms crossed.

“So, you thought you could trick me?”

We sit in complete silence for a few seconds and I try to hide my shock. Suddenly, it hits me.

“Why does it matter if it’s coke or not? The picture exists; You thought it was real until that conversation. You think the media wouldn’t go crazy with it?”