a

My fingers typed furiously on my keyboard as I sign in to my email account. My stomach churns as I await the email that would determine my destiny. The manager of BigHit made it very clear that the email would be sent out at 4:00pm. It was now 3:58pm.

I open another tab and go on YouTube.

3:59pm.

My breath hitches.

I click on a video and watch, but not really even paying attention to what it is. My eyes were only focused on that clock.

4:00pm.

My heartbeat races enormously as I exit out of the tab and start refreshing my email box multiple times.

There was nothing.

My whole body sinks in realization and disappointment. I was really looking forward to getting this job, and now I don't know what to do, I thought as I closed my eyes and sighed as I could feel discouraged tears brimming.

Suddenly, I hear a notification though my computer.

I didn't know eyes could even open that quickly as I immediately darted my face to the screen.

From: BigHit Ent.

I click on the email as my hands quivered with anticipation.

From: BigHit Ent.

To: Brinley McAdams

Hello Brinley!

Thank you for applying to BigHit Entertainment as our Official English Educator and Tutor! We are pleased to announce and congratulate you as you have exceeded all of our standards and that we would be more than happy to offer you this position. As an appreciation gesture, we have paid for all of your accommodations arriving if you decide to join us here at BigHit Entertainment. We wholeheartedly hope you consider us, as we would love to have you here. Please contact us as soon as possible if you are interested in taking this wonderful opportunity. Thank you again, and congratulations!

Sincerely,

BigHit Ent.

My eyes blinked in disbelief as I struggled to comprehend what the letter just said, simply because I never thought they would pick me. Of course I had a little hope in the back of my mind, but it was still slim.

I stood up slowly, due to my wobbly knees.

My smile turned into a massive grin, then into a string of squeals and chuckles of disbelief.

Oh my god.

I'm going to Korea.

--

I stare at my plane ticket for the millionth time as I quickly made my way over to my gate number.

This was it.

I was still trembling, and I had been for the past couple days, from the excitement of getting a job that I knew I was going to love, nervousness of moving somewhere across the world, and overtiredness of being fully awake at 2am to board my flight. Looking around me, I quickly realized just how lonely I felt. I was leaving everything behind in America to start a new life in Korea. Thankfully, my parents were supportive of my decision, even though I knew it must be hard letting your only child travel across the world alone.

"Flight 29B to Seoul now boarding all passengers." A voice announced as my head snapped up towards the growing line of people slowly moving towards the front desk and soon boarding the plane. I let everyone go ahead of me, and soon I was one of the last people left to board. I wanted to savour my last moments in this country before I came back, which I didn't even know when that was going to be.

I was steps away to boarding the plane, and when I started to turn my head back to look one last time, I stopped myself. 

There's no time to look back, Brinley. It's now or never.

And so I didn't look back.

I looked forward, to where my future awaited.