[3] ▷ hard worker

Phoebe Tonkin as Brexa Hellwell

↯ O N E  W E E K  L A T E R ↯

BREXA Hellwell was a hard-working, money-earning, rough-knuckled, middle-classed citizen. She expected the daily drunk to grab her ass as she walked by with a platter of beer bottles balancing in her palm, and she never hesitated to backhand that occasional person either. She was the type of person to not take shit from anyone, and if someone gave her the shit she did not take, she showed them just how tolerable she was of it by skillfully breaking their nose with her fist.

Believe it or not, this girl, no matter how frail or pretty she looked on the outside, was a dangerous machine. She had a past that no one knew about with the exception of herself. Hell, she had two pasts, pretty much. She knew for sure that no one would ever find her, having dropped her ledger when S.H.I.E.L.D and Hydra fell, her information deep down under all of the rubble, but how wrong she was.

Artemis Schmidt had never stopped on the search for herself, and after going through the pain of ducking her head under the hood of a jacket to go search for information, she ended up at a local library, her eyes scanning the information on the old desk-top screen. Upon searching for herself, she pulled up Bucky and sucked in the information as fast as she could, and then she scrolled across the interesting file of this girl.

Brexa Hellwell was an agent for Hydra since she turned 19, the burning age of a girl who had such a bright future ahead of her, but it backfired on her the second that 2014 rolled around. Angel X, as she was called, worked alone on all of her files, Artemis had deciphered, and once she had read enough, she quickly printed off the files and left the library as fast as she possibly could, scurrying back to her small apartment that she had found.

After figuring out all this information, Artemis took it upon herself to hide under the hood of her jacket once more, heading towards the place where all the broken down outcasts went on a Friday night. Cruzky's Bar, it was called. A dirty, grimy-walled, small bar that Brexa had scored a job at to get the assassin scent off her shoulders.

With the smoke and alcohol polluted air entering Artemis' nostrils, her nose grew up a little in familiarity. She walked with her head down towards the bar where there were ripped stools lined up on it. Two men sat far at the end and another lone man sat on the other side, leaving the entire middle open as Artemis declared one of those seats as her own. She walked over, her brown hair hiding her face as she took a seat.

She kept her head down as she put her elbows up on the table, pulling her hood back from her head. She hoped no one in this bar recognized her, and if they did, she prayed they were too drunk to remember in the morning. Her head popped up when she heard a voice, and upon meeting those eyes that she had looked at in that file, her own played it off as confused. "Wow," The girl said, using her towelette to dry the inside of a glass before she slung the rag over her shoulder.

"What?" Artemis inquired, actually confused as to what Brexa was trying to say to her. The brunette smiled jokingly before she opened her mouth again, sticking the glass into the place it was supposed to be. "You look like shit." She said. Hearing that made Artemis' lips twitch up into a short smile, but it quickly fell. "Well, that's not something I'm proud of." Artemis said and Brexa chuckled it off, leaning over the counter to face Artemis.

"We all have things we're not proud of," Brexa shrugged, and Artemis looked down with a small smile. "I'm assuming you're not proud of being Angel X, aren't you, Brexa?" Hearing that caused the brunette's smile to falter, her green eyes looking ahead at the drunken customers she was constantly serving. Her jaw clenched as she never took her eyes from the people ahead of her.

"Who sent you?" She seethed through clenched teeth. Artemis shrugged nonchalantly just like Brexa had done seconds before. "Me, myself, and I." Artemis replied with a smirk.

Brexa ran her tongue under her bottom lip in frustration as she stood off of the counter, her arms crossing over her chest as she placed a smile on her face. "What do you want, sunshine?" She says. Artemis looks at her features with a blank face that made Brexa a bit wary, but nonetheless stared her down like a hawk. "I need you," Artemis said simply, causing Brexa's eyebrows to raise sarcastically.

"I'm sorry but I don't swing that way, I'm straighter than a ruler, dollface. S-T-R-A-I-G-H-" "I'm not talking about it like that." Artemis snaps, her face hardening as she was beginning to feel a sense to laugh bubbling up inside of her. "To put it in a way that you would understand," Artemis sassed, looking at Brexa who now rolled her eyes. "I need your help." Artemis finished and Brexa sighed heavily, turning around to busy herself with something else.

"I don't do the things I'm good at for free, so if you're willing to pay, I'm all in." Brexa inquired over her shoulder, swearing that she felt Artemis' eyes burning into her skull. "I'm not bribing you-" "-Well then, sorry, I can't help you-" "-You will help me." Artemis seethed, her fist banging down hard on the counter as she stood broodingly to her feet. Brexa swirled around with raised eyebrows, waiting a second before gesturing towards Artemis.

"What? Was that supposed to scare me or something?" Brexa inquired, causing Artemis to sigh and fall back into her seat, shaking her head as she pinched her nose. "Of course not. Why would I try to scare you into helping me?" "Because maybe it's one of your kinks?" "Jesus fucking Christ. Get me a cup of whiskey."

+
a/n: this new fucking creature I just introduced is literally such a hyperactive bean and she's so important btw.

I hope you guys liked this chapter and got some laughs out of it!

Love you all so much!

Much luv,
~KatXoXo