day-before-the-party party*

edited

I avoided Arin all day at school. No way was I gonna talk to him after yesterday. There’s no way I could risk bringing myself (Lacee) up in a conversation again. No matter how much I wanted to hear what everyone I didn't even want to walk home, because there might be a chance he'll pull over for me again. So, I got a ride from Chloe. She was coming over to the house for a sleep-over later tonight,  anyway.

The sleepover tonight was all Chloe’s idea. She wanted to spend the night to "assess the house" before the party. I knew that she really just wanted another chance to get into my “brother’s” pants. But it’s not like I could tell her no; not if I want this plan to work, that is.

The whole car ride (Chloe generously offered to drive me and two cheerleaders) from school to my house was filled with the talk of how outrageous it was that "Raider" didn't want to “have” Chloe. I personally wouldn't either, considering how flippin' pig headed she is. I think anybody who's spent at least a half-hour with her wouldn't say anything good about her. I have no interest to be one of her friends anymore It’s a bit too late to turn back now though.

We pulled into my driveway after ten excruciatingly long minutes. I quickly ran to the front door, figuring that I had time because Chloe and the other girls still had to get her bags.

I found Walter, standing in the kitchen by the counter, sneaking cookies from the hidden cookie package. He guiltily turned to face me, shoving a whole cookie into his mouth.

I crossed my arms over my chest and looked at him accusingly. “You’re sneaking cookies?”

He gave me his best sheepish grin through his full cheeks. “Yes?”

“Y’know what,” I said. “You owe me now.”

“Owe you?” Walter asked and raised his eyebrows. “What do I owe you exactly?”

“Well,” I said, then quickly launched in at lightning speed. “You see, some of my friends- well, acquaintances, really- y’know, Chloe and her gang- they’re out in the driveway bringing in their things because they’re going to spend the night. Part of the whole “become popular and throw a bitchin’ party” thing. Sorry for not telling you earlier.”

Walter’s face scrunched up in confusion. “Did you just say bitchin’?” Then he looked down at his wool socks, plaid boxers, and dirty white t-shirt before focusing back up on me. “And yeah, a little notice would have been nice. How many girls?”

“Tami, Rhonda, Susan, and Chloe.” I stated. “Five including me.”

Walter groaned. “I’ll go get changed. I’ll probably just go out tonight, then.”

“Fine by me,” I said with a relieved smile. “Thanks for being so cool with this.”

“I don’t really have a choice anymore,” Walter called, heading down the stairs. “You’re my little sister now.”

I heard the front door open and went to go see the girls walk in.

“You could have at least helped us with our bags,” Chloe huffed and pushed her way inside the house first. The other girls chattered as they followed me up to my room.

The cheerleaders glanced around my room, waiting to spot a flaw.

“Wow,” Rhonda said with an appreciative look. “Your room is really cool, Lizzie.”

The other girls were quick to agree with her and I bashfully thanked them.

“Where’s Raider?” Chloe asked quickly, cutting the rest of them off.