Chapter 41 - "I Was In Love With You."

Micajah"s PoV:

Chapter 41 - "I Was In Love With You."

"Hey, you're not one of those people who are weirded out if someone talks while chewing, are you?"

Seneca looks taken aback by the random question that just popped out of my mouth, her brows flying up in surprise.

My brother cracks up laughing.

"Um—" She starts, but Ezra laughs even harder, slapping his thigh and throwing his head back, his eyes almost tearing up.

Okay, I admit that has now got me curious. Because this situation isn't that funny.

"She was the one that weirds everyone else by doing it, Micajah. Not the other way around." Ezra says after a few moments of laughing at a slightly flushed Seneca, sticking his tongue out at her.

"It's not you're the most well-mannered one out there. Hell, you can scoff down a Big Mac in 2 minutes flat." Seneca throws back, glaring at him with her arms crossed under her breasts in a self-justifying manner.

Annnnd, you oughta stop staring, Micajah. Nope, don't look down, don't look down, don't look dow—

"Ahem, ahem, ahem." Ezra coughs loudly, averting his eyes as he smirks implicatively.

Only I realize then that I had been staring, despite my efforts not to.

My cheeks burn red as I'd been caught red-handed in the act, and I clear my throat self-consciously, avoiding looking at the best-friends sitting in front of me, their tall frames tucked into the tiny foldable hospital metal chairs positioned close to my bed.

Think of something to say, Micajah. Quick!

"Hey, you're my elder brother, right? How in the hell are you still in High School?" Ezra demands just then, looking at me with unmasked curiosity as he, yet again, steers the conversation in another direction and saves us all the embarrassment.

My shoulders sag in silent relief.

"Ugh." I stammer, flushing, "That . . . that's because I was late to join school by 2 years." I would find the identical way their brows furrow almost comical, were I not assaulted by the bitter memories I'd struggled so hard to push away, feeling that familiar anxiety and nerves as I remember those days, "My mother—Victoria, she uh, she wasn't really in the best condition after my birth." I hesitantly meet their eyes, before looking down at the pristine white sheets laying across my thighs, fiddling with the hem, "She didn't really take care of new born me properly, and uh, when the neighbors—Mr. and Mrs. Bradford tried to, you know, come and check in, she lashed out and almost killed Mrs. Bradford. So they kinda stopped trying to help, though they've helped me time and time again when I'd been in need of a meal or a quite place to recover at times—both physically and emotionally, I mean. So when I was old enough to join school, they realized that I was um," I cough, unable to meet the twin pairs of agog eyes as I reveal something even Nora doesn't know, "Malnourished. Not like, a little deficiency or anything. Severely malnourished, with a bloated belly and everything." I fidget with my hands, chewing my upper lip. "That's when the anonymous cheques started coming. Only later I found out that it was Alpha Parker who'd sent them. And in time, I was medicated and nourished back to normal health, and sent to school. They refused to allow me to take part in training, though. Said I might fall sick again. But, I think it was all an excuse though." I shrug apathetically, trying hard to remain indifferent.

I hear rough exhale, and I know that my Mate is struggling to prevent herself from killing someone right now.

I give her a few seconds, before I finally look up and meet their eyes.