Chapter Seven

I stare at my painting, the desperate attempt to paint a lizard. Art is another subject in which I’d never excelled at. I seem to make up with logic for what I lack in creativity. I scowl at my painting as I notice the tail is coming out of the lizard’s head. I give up on the painting and begin watching Jamie paint her pumpkin. I curiously wonder how she is able to make a simple pumpkin look so realistic. I’m interrupted by the teacher reminding us to begin to tidy up in ten minutes.

“Your painting is amazing Jamie!” I say.

She smiles in response. “I love art, it’s an amazing way to express yourself, even in something as simple as a pumpkin” she replies. I carefully think about this, maybe I should have focused more on expression rather than the lizard. I remind myself to remember this for tomorrow.

While we clean up, I ask Jamie to explain more on why she loves art. She tells me more about expression and how she draws in her spare time. I look at my watch and feel a rush of excitement as I realize the day is almost over. School days for me are usually slow and feel never-ending. It’s amazing how fast the day has gone by, as well as how much has happened in one day! Math – my favourite class – is next, and I cannot wait. Still, math is more independent work, so I won’t be able to talk to Jamie much. Once we finish cleaning, we pack our bags and head to our next class, along with a mob of the rest of our class.

As we walk in, I notice we have a supply teacher. Although I know this means there will be no lesson, at least I will be able to talk to Jamie. Generally, supply teachers sit behind the desk and read, completely oblivious to the chaos the students are creating. They aren’t usually even good supervisors, which means this will basically be like recess, but rather indoors. Jamie sits in the empty seat beside me, which hasn’t been filled this school year until now. We talk more about Star Wars, then books, then llamas, and overall just about everything. Other than my conversation with Jamie – math class was uneventful. The teacher – as I had guessed – only sat behind the desk and took attendance. After the one hour period – which was surprisingly fast as well – is over, we head to our last class of the day, English.

Our English teacher, Mrs. King, waits for us at the front of the class. The lesson plan has been written behind her on the chalk board. We are learning about conjunctions today. As usual, Jamie sits next to me, however, this causing Mrs. King to raise an eyebrow. She’s probably confused as to why anyone would sit next to me. Mrs. King has never been my favourite teacher, she seems too opinionated about most things for me to respect her as a teacher. I personally disagree with most things she says, but still, I keep them to myself. We begin the lesson, which passes by excruciatingly slow. By the end of the lesson, I glance around the room and notice that the majority of the class – including Jamie – is asleep. This doesn’t seem to stop Mrs. King though, she continues on with a new lesson. By the end of class, I’m nearly asleep myself. The final bell wakes the class up and we rush to stack our chairs and run out of class. I stay behind to wait so I can walk back to my locker with Jamie.

As we walk back, Jamie asks “Do you walk home, Sheldon?” I nod and return the question. She tells me she does walk home and we make a plan to walk home together. It turns out, she only lives a street away from me! I assume the reason for me now ever seeing her was due to my staying after school, stuck in a dumpster. This thought suddenly strikes up the question that should have been bugging me all day: Will Jacob and his friends still corner me after school? I’m overcome with nervousness, I can’t have Jamie know the full extent to how much of a loser I really am.

After we reach our lockers, we walk outside the building. I silently hope in my head that Jacob won’t find me today. However, with my luck, I see him straight ahead. He turns his head to stare straight at me, and I know it is too late. I prepare for the worst then watch him wave and walk away with his friends. It takes me a few seconds to process what had just happened, he had just waved and left. I decide not to question it and continue walking with Jamie. It’s hard to ignore the scattered thoughts in my brain, but I manage to normally converse with Jamie and reach home without doing anything I’d regret later. I watch her walk away, then unlock my door and walk in.