Chapter Nine

The next morning, I jumped out of bed like I never had before. I smile as I brush my teeth, anxious to start a new day! I wear the same jeans I’d worn yesterday along with a new, blue t-shirt. I repeat the process of shaping my dark hair into a mohawk as I did yesterday, then rush downstairs. The smell of chocolate chip cookies pulls me into the kitchen. Once I sit down, my mom turns around.

 “Wow Sheldon, two days without a sweater vest? We might have to go buy you new clothes if this keeps up” she says with a smile.

 “Yeah that would be good” I respond.

I had never liked shopping before. It had always just been a chore than needed to be done, but suddenly, I feel as though I cannot wait to go and choose new clothes. New clothes are the start to a new image, giving me a fresh start.

I finish up my cookie then go upstairs to brush my teeth once again – to rid my mouth of the sticky, melted chocolate. I check my watch and decide that it’s time to go to school. I have decided to go early today and look for Jamie, so we can talk before school starts. I walk out the door and start my way towards the school.

A thought pops into my mind as I’m walking along. This time yesterday, I was nervous to go to school; yet right now, I can’t help feeling eager to start a new day. Once I arrive at school, I search the large crowd for Jamie. This time when I arrive at school, only a few heads turn towards me. I assume they’re trying to figure out who I am. Nobody would normally recognize me in the dorky clothes I used to wear. However now, people seem to be trying to figure out who I am. In the middle of my thoughts, a boy in one of the other eighth grade classes walks up to me.

 “Hey, are you new?” he asks.

 “Uh.. no. Actually I’ve been at this school since first grade” I reply.

 He looks shocked at first, then eyes me suspiciously. “Hmm, I’ve never seen you before. What grade are you in?”

 “Eighth” I reply. I must admit, that question stung a bit. To think this is my tenth year at this school and he hadn’t even recognized me. Not even as an unknown face passing in the hallways.

 “Woah, how have we not met? I’m Louis, nice to meet you...”

 “Sheldon” I say.

“Well, Sheldon, I hope I see you around” he says quickly, before walking off towards a group of other eighth graders.

I stand there for a second, not willing to believe what had just happened. It’s strange to know that by changing your appearance, you become much more appealing to others. It seems rather shallow though, doesn’t it? I  glance around again, and catch a few other eyes on me. I walk towards the tree me and Jamie had sat under during recess yesterday. We did not actually make any plans to meet up here before school, but I still hope she has the same idea as me.  I wait for a few minutes, appreciating the quiet on this side of the school. I decide to lie down, to better enjoy it. As I do so, my eyelids slowly close without me realizing it. I fall into a peaceful – yet short – sleep,  awaking once Jamie arrives and shakes me.

 “Sheldon, come on, the first bell just rang!” she says urgently.

 It takes a while for my mind to register what she is saying. I then bolt up and grab her hand – pulling her along with me – as I run into the building.