Chapter Seventeen

“Took you guys long enough” I hear someone say as we enter the room. I turn to see it was Jacob, who is sitting with Logan and Joseph, waiting for us.

 “Sorry about that” Jamie says.

 “We’re here now though, so let’s get started on our tableau” I say. “But before we do, I was thinking we should add Avery to the group. I’m sure Ms. Taylor would be okay with one more member, right?” They all enthusiastically agree and Avery comes over to sit with us.

“Hey guys, also I was checking out more about the Battle of Vimy Ridge, and it turns out, the German side used loads of machine guns. I think maybe Logan and I should be Germans ‘manning’ the machine guns” Joseph said.

 I think about it. It sounds like a good idea. I’m surprised he did some research on the topic. “Yeah, that would be great!” I reply.

 “I also think that since there are now six of us, we should divide ourselves equally into Germans and Canadians, since those are the two main countries troops are from” Avery says.

“Yeah definitely” Jamie says. “I volunteer to be a German soldier along with Logan and Joseph. Then it’s equal.. two boys and one girl on each side.”

 Suddenly I find myself smiling. Just in the past few days, Jamie has already overcome a lot of her timidity. She’s already volunteering and contributing new ideas, it must feel really great to do so. We each agree and come to the conclusion that Jacob, Avery, and I will be Canadian troops.

 “Now we should talk about props. Maybe just German flags for us and Canadian flags for you guys. We can just wear small flags on our jackets. Throw in some fake guns and helmets and we’re all set” says Logan. We nod, then spend the rest of the period practicing.

 “Now remember class, presentations are Monday; and by the way, Happy Halloween!” says Ms. Taylor as we leave.

 Avery and Jamie leave separately as they head to girls gym class, while Logan, Joseph, Jacob, and I head to gym class.