Chapter 5

"Dan?"

You walk into the air-conditioned hospital room to see Dan wrapped in a white sheet with his eyelids delicately shut.

You walk further in and sit down on the red chair beside his bed.

"Dan?" You repeat, with a softer tone,  slowly pushing his curly, hazelnut fringe up his forehead.

You watch as his eyelids flutter open and a warm smile appears on his face.

"Hello" He says, reaching out for your hand, "Sorry."

"Okay from now on the word 'sorry' is banned!" You joke.

Dan chuckles and you the feel the pad of his thumb slowly rub circles against the palm of your hand.

"Okay, okay" He responds, "I just hate that all this had to happen on your visit - we haven't seen each other in weeks and I wanted to spend some time with you!"

You sigh and squeeze his hand gently, letting him know that you're there for him and not against him.

"Don't feel bad about it! I mean, we're spending time together right now aren't we?" You say, moving your chair closer to him.

"Yeah but it's not really ideal is it?" Dan grins.

"I guess not but honestly Dan, you're the priority right now"

Dan's face drops and he exhales, loosening his grip on your hand.

"I don't want to be." Dan frowns, "You're my priority."

Feeling flattered but still unhappy with his mindset, you lean over his bed, putting you arms around him and cuddling gently into him.
L
"I don't understand you sometimes Dan but please, focus on your health." You say seriously, "If not for yourself - for me!"

You feel Dan's arms wrap around you and pull you further up so your head is laying on his shoulder.

"I will." Dan tells you, his lips pecking your forehead, "Anyway, once I'm out of this hell hole that they named 'hospital', let's finally go out and do something!"

You smile and nuzzle into him, your lips close to his neck.

"Like what?"

"I know a great restaurant in town we could eat at - make a change from crap hospital food!"

You both laugh and you look up to see his once drained face returning to it's normal tone and the sparkle in his deep brown eyes glistening once again.

"Sounds good!" You smile.

"Yeah." Dan says, "Let's make a day of it! We can go for walk, mess around, go window shopping - the works!"

"Perfect" You whisper, running your fingers through his hobbit hair, styling it into a mohawk.

"I mean, I'm not one for this 'outside' that people seem to talk about but I'll give it a shot!" Dan jokes.

You shake your head, grinning. Your Dan is back. He's no longer angry, in pain or stressed but he's the jokey, sarcastic, flirtacious dork you know and love.

Getting off of the bed, you notice that Dan hasn't stopped smiling and you're amazed that you are able to do that someone. You don't really have that much confidence anyway but Dan just seems to make that fear disappear and you feel like you can be yourself.

"Anyway, I better go find the Pokemon hunter and wait for you to be discharged!" You say, folding your arms.

"Pokemo-?" Dan says, with a puzzled expression on his face, "Oooh Phil~"

You roll your eyes and explain that he wandered off, finding pokestops and pokemon.

"Can't blame him - he's a child at heart bless him" Dan smirks.

"You can hardly talk Howell" You grin, standing in the door frame.

Dan playfully pokes his tongue out at you and you return the gesture as you leave the room.

You're a lot more happier now and can't wait for a hopefully carefree day in town with Dan.

A/N Dan is returning back to normal (for now) and you are now waiting for him to be discharged from the hospital to spend time together - finally! What will happen on your day out? Whose going to be the priority? Find out in the next chapter and don't forget to vote if you enjoyed this chapter - thank you!

~ Katie ^_^