Teen talk

TEEN TALK~

We all know what the holiday season is like: a bustle of activities and family reunions to attend. Let's Teen Talk with how to deal with and survive a chaotic family this Thanksgiving.

When it comes to your mother asking for the twentieth time "Did you remember to put the cat in the garage?" before leaving the house to go holiday shopping, rule number one: DO NOT ROLL YOUR EYES! Whatever you do, you must resist the urge and reply accordingly. You must keep in mind that your mother is probably stressed trying to organize and juggle everything. If you see her running in and out of the house to grab stuff and put it in the car, go and help her. She'll appreciate it and have one less thing to worry about. And maybe she won't keep forgetting that she asked the same question 20 seconds ago.

What I am trying to say is put yourself in someone else's shoes. Realize that if you all pitch in things will go a lot smoother and less stress will be placed on everyone in the long-run. If your dad is cleaning the gutters, help him. Offer to rake the leaves too. It wouldn't hurt. Your parents would be grateful for the help and may even reward you with an extra little present this coming holiday, you never know.

But what about your annoying siblings? Easy. If they're little keep assigning them to tasks. Little siblings like keeping busy. Ask them to pick up the leaves and put them in the trash. Ask them to come with you to your neighbors and ask for a cup of sugar. Ask them to cookie cutter the cookies and lick the batter on the spoon. Give them hot cocoa and have them wrap presents. All the little help adds up and things get done faster. A tip: if you make it seem like fun they will be more willing to help. You actually may end up having fun yourself.

As for the older siblings: compromise. You clean your half of the room, I clean mine. You sweep, I'll mop. Your friend can sleep over this weekend, mine next weekend. Sure you can have the last slice of pizza, but I get the soda. Get the picture? Don't argue. Compromise. Things will be much easier and more enjoyable that way. Promise.

Last but not least: Remember that the holidays are about spending time with your family and enjoying the time that you spend together. Who cares if the turkey is burnt and your dog ate your present? It’s the memories that last and put a smile in your heart. So, what are you thankful for this Thanksgiving? Comment below!