Chapter 11: Amberlynn

Henry and I were sprawled on the plush navy blue carpet of my basement, looking at my birth certificate.

I'd never thought that I would actually try to find my real mom and dad. The idea seemed weird to me; Izzy and Kenny were my mom and dad. Nothing would rip me from them. But, that didn't stop me from trying to find out who they really were.

"I think that says Sarah Jane Grace," I repeated.

"No!" Henry argued. "That totally says Sally Julie Grace."

On my certificate, there was a small water stain. It wasn’t a big deal, everything about me was still there (I was born at 11:12 P.M. Isn't that awful?). The only thing damaged was my mother's name.

I squinted down at the parchment. "I absolutely think this says Sarah Jane." I shoved the paper across the floor and to Henry. "Too bad my dad didn't get his name on here. Life would be easier then."

Henry nodded. "It would be, but I still can't believe that you're adopted. I know I acted all cool before we went to my place to study. To be perfectly honest, I never would have guessed that you were."

I stared up at the pasty white ceiling with glow in the dark stars glued to it. I put them there when I was younger, thinking it would be cool to have them on the basement ceiling. It's not, just in case you didn't know.

"Well, that was my goal," I mentioned, putting my hands behind my head as I looked at the ceiling. "One thing that makes me crazy is that I don't even know if she cares about me anymore. I might be just another child she gave up. The name Amberlynn might mean nothing. It could be some stupid name that she made up."

Henry shook his head. "Your name might mean nothing to your real mom, but it means everything to me."

Henry placed his head on his hand, his elbow digging into the floor. I turned to him, mimicking the pose he had placed himself in. "You know," I confirmed. "You know that I'm getting used to these cheesy lines you throw at me."

Henry shook his head again, a playful smile plastered to his face. "It's about time."

~.~

Running is my thinking time.

The wind ruffles my hair softly, and my legs stretch out further and further with each step. My arms were hard at work, swinging at my sides. I huffed and puffed, and I certainly felt like I could blow a house down. But, I just kept pushing through it all.

I've been out of my house for at least an hour, just running and running. I wasn't sure what I was running from.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm trying to escape myself.

I groaned inwardly as my feet hit the black asphalt of the track, and I pushed harder. I was not about to become all philosophical and deep. Not now. Hopefully, not ever.

As I crossed the starting line once more, I slowed down and jogged lightly to my bright yellow water bottle. I lifted the bottle to my lips and looked at the looming sky. This cloud cover had held up for a long time, and it didn't seem to be going anywhere, either.

I kicked the dirt and leaves as I walked home, my hands swaying at my sides.

I pushed on my front door lightly, falling softly on our burgundy-colored couch. I pressed on the remote buttons and stopped on Burlesque.

Just as I was getting settled, someone knocked on my door. I made a big show of getting up off the couch and mopping to the door, even though no one was there to see my grand show.

"You guys are early," I stated bluntly.

Maria shook her head. "Yeah, but we were all ready early, so we just kind of.... came over." Maria's face turned a rosy pink.