Chapter 1: Amberlynn

My feet came to a stop on the pavement. The moonlight glinted off the rooftops and the soft sound of rain pounding on the sidewalk. I giggled with my friends.

“I cannot believe we just did that!” Bronagh laughed, putting her hands on her knees, breathing deep breaths.

I shook my head. “Neither can I.” I threw my head back hastily into a simple ponytail and sat down on the sidewalk.

Stella fell on the grass in front of a random house and started laughing harder than I have ever seen her laugh before.

“Stella!” Maria shouted at her, getting down on the ground like we were. “Snap out of it!” Maria seemed to be the only one who hadn’t completely lost it.

Stella shook her head back and forth quickly, her breathless expression pained. “I can’t stop!” She shouted.

We rolled our eyes. Stella was always the one to lose control, typically when we go to parties. “Stella, you have to calm down, girl. Inhale, exhale. Inhale, exhale. Yeah, that’s it,” Maria soothed.

I shook my head in disbelief again. “We just went TP’ing! And we TP’ed,” I paused, doing my best for dramatic affect. “Chloe Murray!”

This caused another round of stomach-wrenching laughter.

Bronagh looked at us once we calmed down. “Do you guys think we’ll regret this? I mean, what if she’s…nice?”

I looked at her, and rolled my eyes. “Her? That, I don’t know, loner? Shy girl? Whatever, all I know is that I could never be her friend.”

Maria, Stella, and Bronagh agreed with me. Why would we be friends with her? We were those girls, the ones that everyone feared, the ones that everyone wanted to be. And being friends with her-no, wait, that- was an unthinkable crime.

“Do you think she’ll know it was us?” Maria asked me.

Stella glared at her. “Do you know how many other people would do this? I don’t have enough fingers or toes to count high enough.”

Maria shrugged. “Just asking, no need to go all bitchy on me.”

Stella put on a fake offended face. “Moi? Bitchy?” She gasped dramatically, “Am I ever bitchy?”

Maria shrugged. “Yes, quite often, actually. Like, once a week you summon your inner bitch, or something.”

Bronagh rolled her eyes. “C’mon guys, let’s get back to my house before they report it to the police and find four teenage girls rolling on the streets in laughter. That might be a giveaway.”

We murmured agreement and skipped down the street in search of Bronagh’s house in the dark.

~.~

I groaned as I slapped the snooze button on my alarm clock. I wasn’t ready for school, not after that weekend.

That weekend, was possibly the best weekend of my life. I went to a party on Friday, played some pranks with the girls’ on Saturday, and Sunday was a day with Henry, my boyfriend. My eyes were trained on the spinning fan on my ceiling, lulling me to sleep.

No, I thought. You have to get up to see Chloe’s reaction.

I'm seriously doubting that Chloe would tell anybody; someone had already put all the pictures on Facebook anyway. Everyone already knew, it was just a matter of how she reacted to it and my friends mocking her all day.

I pulled my feet onto the floor and rubbed my eyes. It was going to be a long day. All I knew was that I couldn't wait to be back in Henry's arms, his arm around my neck just the way I like it.